AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that when the Dish 6000 receiver is in SD mode the output from the receiver is from composite/S-video only and that in HD it is out component video only? If so, can someone make sense of this this to me? On my TV(Mits 73411) this takes up 2 inputs instead of one. Seems a waste.

Along those same lines- I am new to this whole HDTV game. How do I know when I have a true OTA HD signal coming in. Do I have to know the TV schedule? Or is it pretty obvious? (I have seen the SD digital locals, but have not seen a show in HD yet)

Lastly- Can someone explain the screen format thing;16:9? Whenever viewing standard dish signals there are gray bars on either side of the screen, so I put the TV in stretch mode. When receiving SD and HD signals will it automatically be in 16:9 aspect ratio?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yes, the 600 will only output an HD signal or an SD signal, not both at the same time. The 6000 will upconvert the SD channels to and HD signal that you can veiw on your monitors HD input if you would like to not need to change inputs. IT does an OK job, better than some TV's internal circuits but worse than other TV's.

It does help to know the schedule but usually, you can tell if there is a true HD signal. Sometimes, the transfer is not that clear and it is hard to tell. Once you have seen more real HDTV it will be easier to notice the differences.

I'm not totally sure how the 6000 handles the stretching since I use it 99% for HD only. I'm pretty sure it will switch between from the stretch mode to non-stretch when changing to HD from SD but I'm not sure of the correct settings for it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Lee.

I watched CBS last night and saw my first program in HD. It did look pretty clear, but the colors appeared slightly washed out or faded. My wife claimed it was in B&W. I don't think I hooked up the component video incorrectly. Could that make the colors appear that way?

I would like to use HD mode all the time, but the SD signals look pretty bad when viewed in HD mode. I guess the upconverting process doesn't work all that well in my unit.

Like many of the others here my wife is wondering what I spent all this money for. Lots of hardware and wires everywhere. I sure hope it gets better...soon.

A little help, someone?

·
Registered
570 Posts
When the 6000 is outputting HD, the picture will fill the screen. There are black bars on the side of SD pictures that are upconverted to 1080I.

We watch our SD program material on an SD input and let the TV line double the material to 480P. It looks better than SD upconverted to 1080I.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well, to start with, have you used a test DVD like Avia or the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tuneup to calibrate the user controls on your TV? Once you do that on your DVD input you can approximate the settings on your HD input which is more difficult to get test patterns onto. If you are using the TV straight out of the box, you could be asking for accelerated wear down the road if you don't turn the contrast and brightness down at least halfway.

Second, the only other thing I can tell you is to check your connections at the TV and the 6000. I do remember that the 6000 has the component jacks in a different order than my Mits TV so I had to double check things to make sure it was right. (It sure can be hard to tell the blue jack from the green one in the darked back of a TV set) Seems like mine did not show a picture at all though.

ost of the time the colors on the HD shows are so much brighter than the NTSC stuff, it makes the SD stuff look almost black and white. I would also suggest, using the Dish Network HD demo channel to look at some real HD. That will also give you a good reference point for any changes you make to the controls since it repeats over and over.

Let us know wht you find.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had the 6000 for a month now. You will definitly know when you are watching HD.

The HD channels on Dish are in the 9400 channel number range. If you have the 8VSB module for OTA HD reception you should be able to add your local HD channels from the menus (I believe the menus are 6, then 1, then 5). Without the 8VSB module you are not watching HD on the OTA HD channels.

The 6000 will automatically scale to 16x9 when presented with HD signal and in HD mode (i.e. the blue light on). The SD channels will also display while in HD mode via the component inputs (they look pretty good but I use SD mode and let my TV upconvert to 1080i). You can cycle through various display modes of Normal, Zoom, Grey Bars, etc... by pressing the * key.

As to your second post about faded colors, I don't know what is going on. HD for me (even SD displayed 4x3 in HD mode) is much more vibrant than SD. I would check your connections. I'm connected component for HD and S-video for SD. Although, I'm about to experiment with composite for SD because of posts I've read that in certain equipment combinations it can provide a more pleasing SD PQ.

Good luck...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have some questions may be you can help regarding Dish model 6000

1) As mentioned in your post, the signal is upconverted to 1080i so all the SD channels will be displayed with black bars on both side. I am just wondering if I am keep watching these channel most of the time- Am I risking with the "burn in" problem in the future.

2) Since the stretching of the 6000 model is very bad ( you have only 1 option to see the full screen without the side black bars). Can I use the TV stretch mode instead ? I tried but there is only 1 option which is 16:9 zoom.

Please help. Thanks. By the way I do have a Hitachi 65TWXSx20B.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is two options to resize. One is a full zoom[cutting out part of pic that don't fit], the other is part zoom and strech. I'am quite use to the second option and think it looks good. To cylce thr the zoom options press the * key. DRB

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In HD mode I continue to get only a marginally better picture than SD mode with my Dish6000 receiver. On top of that the colors are all washed out. I am using the OEM component video cables sent with the 6000. Is it possible that these cables are not up to the task?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wondered if you could help, I'm trying to purchase (quickly) for Christmas an HD STB for my iLaws. I'm not familar with Dish related products as I currently am on Direct.

It (seems?) the 6000U is the (only?) real choice. A concern arose while reading this thread, My MIL needs this changeover from a 310 box to the 6000U to be kept VERY simple. (They have the 510 on the main feed in another room if thats pertinent) She can occasionly get her remote off feed and has to wait for Dad to fix it.

Seeing the discussion on SD quality I am very concerned as I'm quessing much of her veiwing will be on SD channels. How simple is it to switch back and forth with the 6000U remote from SD on S-V input to HD on Component input?

Does anyone know if the 6000U letterboxes SD on component feed on the 16.9 GWI?

Thanks so much for any help, This seems more difficult to me at the moment as I am very unfamilar with *E products!

PS: Steve I would recomend trying another cable. I have found particualry in my video interconnects a vast quality diffrence in pic just recently from brand to brand on a 60" screen.

I've also had a couple go 'slowly' bad over the years rather than just kaput.

You might consider trying another cable especially if you've had it around a while.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SJMAYE
In HD mode I continue to get only a marginally better picture than SD mode with my Dish6000 receiver. On top of that the colors are all washed out. I am using the OEM component video cables sent with the 6000. Is it possible that these cables are not up to the task?
Well again, you're taking a crappy, compressed SD channel and upconverting it to 1080i, and then blowing it up on a huge screen. It's really not going to look that great. As Lee said, some people prefer indeed to switch the box to SD mode when watching SD channels. Yes you have to switch the input on your tv then as well, but if it might look better that way, so be it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think I have explained myself well. I realize that when I take a signal that is standard definition and upconvert it to high definition it doesn't look too good. I do have separate inputs set up for SD and HD modes. What I am saying is that when I have a program being broadcast in HD 1080i, put my 6000 in HD mode and switch over to that HD input on the TV the color is washed out and the picture is about the same clarity as 480i.

Is it even remotely possible that the Dish 6000 OEM component video cables could be causing this? Would connecting via RGB be better?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mary M S...

Mary it is not "too" difficult. If the TV has SD and Component connections for the same inpute number, it is simple as pushing one button. The SD/HD button will alternate modes and you will get nice feedback from a blue light on the box. Even though I find the PQ of SD in HD mode more pleasing, I typically watch in SD as I don't want to risk burn in and don't care for the aspect settings of the 6000.

I bet your inlaws will not even notice any missing picture in Partial Zoom aspect and can watch everything in HD mode. If you program the TV into the remote but leave the Aux uprogrammed, the Aux button will turn the TV off/on without changing device modes on the remote. I know changing devices on remotes can be challenging for some.

All in all, I think you can keep it simple for them.

One other thing you may need to know beforehand is the 6000 box requires "legacy" LNBs. If your inlaw's current LNB is the newer DishPro variety, it will need to swapped out. You probably will need a switch also if you are going from 2 to 3 boxes.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
A couple of things, it is possible that the component cables are bad but I would consider that a remote possibility. Myself and many others in this forum were quite surprised at the quality of the component cables that come with the 6000. You could temporarily swap the cables with the component cables from your DVD player if you have one to see if it makes a difference. IF you even have some standard yellow-red-white audio cables, you could try those TEMPORARILY to see if the picture improves.

Also, how have you set the configuration in the HDTV setup menu on the 6000. Have you set it to 1080i and component?

Also, have you tried a test DVD and checked the connection of the cables?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Ok Steve, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the look of the SD channels. Yeah something is screwy. I'm not sure what all HD channels you're getting, and the content on those varies as to whether it's always HD anyway but like the Dish HD Demo channel should always look great no matter when you tune to it.

So even that channel has no "wow" factor? I cant think of anything else to add above what all Lee has suggested.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the TV has SD and Component connections for the same input number

This might be a problem I believe the GWI’s back has 6 inputs with 2 selections 5&6 for HD connections and the other choice 1-4 for SD.

One other thing you may need to know beforehand is the 6000 box requires "legacy" LNBs. If your inlaw's current LNB is the newer DishPro variety, it will need to swapped out. You probably will need a switch also if you are going from 2 to 3 boxes.

THANKYOU for that heads up, this has been so much more phone work than I ever expected, I have already talked to Dish about the inlaws account at least 5 times. Each time I learn ‘something’ else….to worry about resolving.

We are returning the 310 box which they lease if I can get this new 6000 on line. So the switch should not be necessary as they will still only be running 2 units. However, - all Dish has ever stated is that they need the ‘2nd’ dish to receive HD. After many calls, I found they could order the ‘free’ install of the 2nd dish by requesting the ‘have to have off air dish for HD locals’. Dish has assured me that by getting that second dish up it is the same dish the 6000 requires for HD feed. NO ONE has ever mentioned a possible LNB incompatibility, I’m assuming since dish keeps telling me the 2nd HD OTA dish is what the 6000 requires, I still should now check ‘type’ of the LNB on their existing first Dish. More calls!!!!

I have already run into to so many problems just getting this far, no one in this large metroplex would just install the second dish and sell me the 6000. They would only work with new subscribers. Finally I have hammered it to having *E install the 2nd dish free (off the HD OTA request for existing subscribers) and ordering the 6000 as a stand-a-lone from FL.

Thank you so much for the guidance!.

MS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mary,

Your on the right track... I also had E* install the 2nd dish under "Must Carry". Some of your inlaw's locals must be on satellites 148 or 61.5 which is also where the HD channels are.

The 2nd dish installer should be aware of the legacy LNB requirement and should provide them at E*'s cost when he does the install. He will take the existing DishPro LNB.

Are your inlaws still under contract in the DHP lease? I have read that some people have been unable to return an under contract receiver when replacing with their own and have to add the owned receiver as an additional. This seems illogical to me and should be able to be "negotiated" with E*.

As to your input problem. The Sony should have at least one input with component connection that also has a composite and/or s-video connection. Use that input connecting both the component and composite and/or s-video (setting the TV on that input). When the 6000 is in SD it will send video via the composite and/or s-video and when in HD it will send via component.

If your inlaws have a DVD player it can be on the other component capable input. Using the DVD player will entail switching inputs. Of course you have many other options with an AV receiver thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Steve,

Go through the menu system and check each setting to make sure it's correct. One setting the wrong way will do any number of things to the picture. I have had my 6000 for 5 months and I prefer watching sd channels using the s-vhs output. Using the component or rgb output looks too soft for me. I have a Quadscan video processor and a 8" CRT projector.

I will tell you that the best picture I have seen from the 6000 is the Discovery

·
Registered
401 Posts
Steve,

Go through the menu system and check each setting to make sure it's correct. One setting the wrong way will do any number of things to the picture. I have had my 6000 for 5 months and I prefer watching sd channels using the s-vhs output. Using the component or rgb output looks too soft for me. I have a Quadscan video processor and a 8" CRT projector.

I will tell you that the best picture I have seen from the 6000 is the Discovery Channel HD Theater. I have watched over the air local HD channels with the optional module, HBO HD and Showtime HD. They are OK but the Discovery Channel HD theater is awsome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.