AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been discussed. Is there an IR blaster that connects to the accessory jack to control a VCR? I don't recall seeing one included. BYW, the manual is pathetic.

Thanks.

Dana

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nothing needs to be connected, it is part of the 6000.

I have a question for all 6000 users(should be of interest to the original poster): have you successfully used the Event Timer feature to control your VCR? I have successfully tested the IR blaster through the VCR setup panels, and have set event timers. When the timer pops, it changes the channel on the 6000, but does not turn on the VCR. Dish Tech support (after running me through some tests) decided my 6000 has a hardware problem and they're sending me another one.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If the 6000 works anything like the rest of E* VCR control - You must leave your VCR turned ON, tuned to your line inputs. It will NOT turn it on from a powered off state - the VCR blaster feature will simply turn on recording on the VCR then stop it at the end of the show.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
My 6000 would never turn on the vcr, I have to leave the power on for it to record on schedule. I think this is a design flaw.

Yeah what he said. Its too bad that the 6000 does not turn on the VCR. One way is to set up the VCR to turn on and record what you want.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You can leave your 6000 turned off and it will come on, tune the 6000, blast your VCR to record (must be left on), blast the VCR record off and shut off the 6000.

I always setup my VCR to record along with my 6000 because I have found (at least in my setup) that the IR blaster is not reliable and I have missed some recordings.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get the IR blaster?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My 6000 would never turn on the vcr, I have to leave the power on for it to record on schedule. I think this is a design flaw.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Since the 6000 will not turn on the VCR, I just set the VCR timer to record. Then I set the 6000 timer to tune the station one minute before and until one minute after the VCR settings. (My VCR/6000 is now set for Enterprise tomorrow.)

Rick R

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I know the 6000 can start the VCR, but I do not like to leave the VCR on so I program it separately. Also the 6000 clock seems to be not too accurate, so the actual record time is controlled by the VCR clock.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rick,

You do not need to set both the vcr timer and the dish timer. The 6000 will start and stop the vcr, just turn the power on to the vcr.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
83 Posts
The feedback was helpful; I validated that the event timer works as long as the VCR is on, so I cancelled DISH network's sending me the new 6000. This site is so much more helpful than tech support!

Hey K4LK! - I didn't mean to highjack your post. Was your question answered?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.