AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, I currently have a dish 6000 with 2 dishes (one for HDTV one for regular channels) and the 8VSB OTA tuner. My girlfriend absolutely hates the dish interface and I'm not all that cracked up about it myself. I took her to look at the direcTV tivo box and she absolutely loved it, I thought it was pretty cool too but love the HDTV on the dish 6000. Here is what I would like to do but am not sure how to go about it.

Add a direcTV tivo system to my current system. The only thing I want to use the dish 6000 for is HDTV. I want to make the Directv tivo my main box. Here are the questions that I have.

1. Can I sign up for just HBO & Showtime HDTV with DishNetwork & how much is it. Again, all I want is the HDTV feeds.

2. Can I get rid of my second DishNetwork dish (119) and replace it with the Directv dish or even better use the same dish to get the directv tivo channels.

3. Can I use one switch for all of this or do I need to get something special. I currently have one of the cheap dishnetwork sw21 switches.

4. Do I need to get one of those new elliptical dishes for the DirecTV system since the DirecTV Tivo doesn't come with a dish of any kind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I could have sworn I saw a post on how to do this but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes, you can subscribe to just HBO and Showtime with Dish. I think it works out to about $26.00. You can also use the same dish you have pointed at 119 to access DirecTV. You will need to reaim it to the DirecTV sat at 101. There are no switches that are compatible with both DirecTV and Dish. I would suggest that you run 1 cable (from the Dish sat pointing to 61.5) to the 6000 receiver and 2 cables from the other sat dish to the DirecTivo unit. The TiVo unit only requires 1 cable but you will want both cables to access the dual tuners that will be enabled this summer. By the way, I was in the same position you are. I ultimately decided to drop Dish, sell my 6000, and buy a DirecTV HD STB to go along with my DirecTivo unit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott:
Yes, you can subscribe to just HBO and Showtime with Dish. I think it works out to about $26.00. You can also use the same dish you have pointed at 119 to access DirecTV. You will need to reaim it to the DirecTV sat at 101. There are no switches that are compatible with both DirecTV and Dish. I would suggest that you run 1 cable (from the Dish sat pointing to 61.5) to the 6000 receiver and 2 cables from the other sat dish to the DirecTivo unit. The TiVo unit only requires 1 cable but you will want both cables to access the dual tuners that will be enabled this summer. By the way, I was in the same position you are. I ultimately decided to drop Dish, sell my 6000, and buy a DirecTV HD STB to go along with my DirecTivo unit.
Thanks for the info! I may end up going with DirecTV but I have to stay with dish for a while due to the contract stuff. I do like dish but their interface is so dated and they don't seem to be in any hurry to update it. How do you like the DirecTivo?

BTW, I used to live right down the road from you! I lived in Powell and in worthington. Matter of fact I know a lot of people that still live in Lewis center. I heard they have build all kinds of stuff down by Bank one. I moved to Denver 2 years ago, before that I lived in Columbus 10 years. I try to make it back to at least one OSU game a year.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Bryan

Go Bucks!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bevege:
1. Can I sign up for just HBO & Showtime HDTV with DishNetwork & how much is it. Again, all I want is the HDTV feeds.
Yes, per above

Quote:

2. Can I get rid of my second DishNetwork dish (119) and replace it with the Directv dish or even better use the same dish to get the directv tivo channels.
Is your second dish a Dish 500? Does it have a TWIN LNB? Both of these questions have a bearing on options. If it is a straight round dish it is an easy repoint to 101 & agree run both coaxs to the DirecTivo.

Quote:

3. Can I use one switch for all of this or do I need to get something special. I currently have one of the cheap dishnetwork sw21 switches.
No switches per above. 2 lines/tivo. 1 line for 6000. If you still wanted anything on 110 or 119 on Dish you would need a couple of switches and some polarity based splitters. BTW the absolute best resource for hybrid systems is http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/

Quote:

4. Do I need to get one of those new elliptical dishes for the DirecTV system since the DirecTV Tivo doesn't come with a dish of any kind.
Only if you want 61.5 for Dish HD, 101 for Direc, 110 for Dish (or SatC for DirecTV), and 119 to share.

Big question is what is your non-HD dish type.

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
Only if you want 61.5 for Dish HD, 101 for Direc, 110 for Dish (or SatC for DirecTV), and 119 to share.

Big question is what is your non-HD dish type.

Tim
I believe I have a dish 500, I know that it is dual LNB. Thanks for your help! The dish I am using for the HDTV (61.5) is actually an old Directv single LNB that I've had forever.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott:
Yes, you can subscribe to just HBO and Showtime with Dish. I think it works out to about $26.00.
Really? Did you actually do this? I will probably do this once the 1 year required to get my rebate expires.

I find that I don't watch 97% of the SDTV channels. Besides, when those heavily compressed SD channels are blown up with either the line doubler in the model 6000 or the 56H80 to a full 56", they look really soft and artifact-ridden. I feel like I am watching quicktime/RealVideo. Terrestrial analog TV is much better and Terrestrial SDTV *very* much better. I shudder to think what the satellite delivered "locals" look like. I can't believe people pay a monthly fee instead of putting up an antenna and getting better quality (Unless you really can't get the locals).

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
dagman,

I never changed my programming to just HBO/Showtime because I was still under contract. The Dish CSR said that once my year was up I could do just the HBO/Showtime package but there would be an access charge ($5 I think) if I didn't have one of the standard Dish packages. The total would be around $26.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
I believe I have a dish 500, I know that it is dual LNB. Thanks for your help! The dish I am using for the HDTV (61.5) is actually an old Directv single LNB that I've had forever.
Beverge,

The Dish 500 will be trick only because it's meant for 110/119 and all settings assume this. The fact that you have 2 dual LNBs vs. a TWIN (one big monster LNB with two outs) makes it doable to hit 101 with one of the Dual LNBs, but I am at a loss of how you would do it without a meter. You can get all the settings (just like your old DirecTV dish used to be pointed) but I would assume some trial and error.

If you do have the "big" TWIN LNB then I suggest you you sell the Dish 500 (unless you think you may switch back) and put up a standard round for dish (with a Dual LNB (both going to the DirecTivo) or even an elliptical (I just run 101 of of mine at this point, too) if you decide to go to DirecTV for HDTV too at some point in the future (like when they get Showtime).

One more thought. Stop playing with dishes and check out the Dish Pro 501. It can't hurt to see it. Ergonomically this is much better than the 6000, and it records w/o a monthly fee. Just a thought. I'm still waiting for PVR and like (and dislike both providers equally/openly).

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
bevege,

The Dish 500 will be trick only because it's meant for 110/119 and all settings assume this. The fact that you have 2 dual LNBs vs. a TWIN (one big monster LNB with two outs) makes it doable to hit 101 with one of the Dual LNBs, but I am at a loss of how you would do it without a meter. You can get all the settings (just like your old DirecTV dish used to be pointed) but I would assume some trial and error.

If you do have the "big" TWIN LNB then I suggest you you sell the Dish 500 (unless you think you may switch back) and put up a standard round for dish (with a Dual LNB (both going to the DirecTivo) or even an elliptical (I just run 101 of of mine at this point, too) if you decide to go to DirecTV for HDTV too at some point in the future (like when they get Showtime).

One more thought. Stop playing with dishes and check out the Dish Pro 501. It can't hurt to see it. Ergonomically this is much better than the 6000, and it records w/o a monthly fee. Just a thought. I'm still waiting for PVR and like (and dislike both providers equally/openly).

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here's the deal. I could not get the DirecTivo or another DirecTV Sony box to work with the Dish 500. I tried everything I could think of for 2 days but couldn't get it to work. Anyway, I purchased an oval Directv dish and everything is up and running. Current setup is:

Dish 6000 HD connected to Mitsubishi ws-55805 for HDTV only

DirecTivo connected to the same TV & Distributed throughout the house

Old Sony Directv receiver connected to the same tv & Distributed throughout the house.

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.