AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ordered my Dish 6000 system! It should be here within a week (paid $399 for it new, no comittment).

So, my question now is -- where's the best place to buy two non-penetrating roof mounts... I am going to align/set these two *******s up myself... this should certainly be an adventure.

* I have the RG6 cable already ran into my home with a nice terminated pigtail hanging on both ends.

* I have the roof space ready to go.

* I have the spot picked out for the dishes.

So, if I understand the install correctly... once I've pointed/peaked the dishes at 61.5 and 110/119, it's just a matter of grounding the dish, connecting the cables to the SW21 switch, and runing the single RG6 into the back of the 6000 decoder and calling Dish to create my account and activate my system, right?

I suppose I'll need a better compass to align these right. Plus, my roof is slanted at about a 2 to 3 degree angle to keep rain from pooling. I believe I'll also need a squealer to peak the alignment, too...

* ALSO * What's the maximum length for the RG6 cable to be run from the dishes without an in-line amplifier? I'm thinking I'm going to be pushing 75-100 feet after all is said and done. Also, how much signal degredation will an in-line coaxial coupler cause? Enough to worry about? Should I get an in-line amp?

* ALSO ALSO * I have an existing ground wire setup for another type of wireless service, can I ground the dishes to this wire as well? It's a thick solid copper wire.

Any other suggestions/tips?

-- Robert

[This message has been edited by DevoX (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
372 Posts
In regards to your cable question: I have two receivers and two dishes. My Dish 500 is about 20' away from the RCA dish I use for the 61.5 satellite. The cable run from the Dish 500 to the first receiver is about 120'. The second receiver has a 165' run with a coupler. Had this setup for a couple of years using a switch 64 with no problem. Signal level on both receivers runs from 85 to 125 depending on what transponder it is tuned to. My ground is on the switch which is attached to the back of the Dish 500.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You might wait until you get the box. The docs have answer a lot of questions.

Got my roof mounts at Radio Shack. The local store has all kinds and takes returns...

Coax signal loss is rated but signal strength is the important factor. (The only loss I can quote off the top of my head is 3db for every 20' at 2.4 mHz. If I recall corectlly.) If you have a good signal don't worry about it. I would add stuff like amps as needed. Not before. Since the signal is digital, loss may not be as important as you think.

There are some good sites about grounding. Do a search here and you'll find some posts already.

The Dish 6000 produces a tone on the TV. you can use that if you or someone else is close to the TV while aligning.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by webmarin:
Got my roof mounts at Radio Shack. The local store has all kinds and takes returns...

There are some good sites about grounding. Do a search here and you'll find some posts already.
I checked RatShack's website and apparently the non-penetrating roof mounts are out of stock and no longer available from the site OR from the stores.

As for grounding... I can't believe there's web sites devoted to grounding. Seems like a simple thing to do.

At any rate, I already have a microwave antenna that is grounded perfectly well... I don't see any reason why I couldn't ground the dishes to this ground wire as well. That's what my question is.

-- Robert

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sore Eyes:
Where did you get the 6000 at that price? I need one.

Thanks
As soon as I have the thing in my hands and the price is for real for real, I will share everything. I am waiting for their people to call me up and say the price was a typo... grumble.

-- Robert

·
Registered
943 Posts
I put in a grounding rod for my UPS several years ago. Cox cable just clamped there grounding wire onto mine. Later, the BellSouth guy used the same grounding wire. Then the DirectTV installer just added another clamp. Hopefully, they know the code rtequirements here in Florida.

Seems to me you can just clamp another wire right onto the wire leading to your current ground. If I am wrong, could someone let me know and I will call all these guys and make them add there own grounding rod.

Jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
i belive the electrical code requires all lines coming into house:antenna, cable, phone, etc. use a common ground. this also eliminates ground hum problems.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.