AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think Input1 15-pin RGB on the G11 will take 1080i/720P. If you aren't using an anamorphic lens I'd just go YPrPb into the G11 for now. Using the RGB out of the 6000, you could also use a 15-pin to 5-BNC breakout to go into the G11 on Input2.

Tom

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I am using Computer 2 with a VGA to 5BNC cable with great success with my Dish 6000.

Hope this helps.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I am going component from the 6000 to my G1000. It looks good to me -- ie, better than HTPC DVD ever does -- when watching HBOHD, SHOHD and PBS OTA demo loop.

Am I missing something by not going into computer2 ? Is the computer2 input significantly better ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have a question about the best connection to make (I have Dilard, so I can make memory assignments as needed).

There are many past threads discussing the G11 connections and I've reviewed most of them. Most of them were DTC100 based before the Dish 6000 was available.

Here's my question, if I use the G11 Computer1 input for my HTPC (and I plan to eventually get an AccessTV card for OTA HD). What is the best quality connection to make from a Dish 6000 HD box? It has A)15pin RGB and B)RCA composite Y, Pb, Pr outputs. The G11 has Computer 2 RGB/V/H BNC or Composite Y,Pb,Pr BNC. I posted on the hardware forum if anyone knows if the 6000 RGB also outputs vertical/horizontal sync information for V,H G11 inputs.

thanks for your help

ken

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Well, that sounds like a good option as well. I have to run 35 feet of cable; the component route might be a cheaper cable, but I haven't priced it yet. Looks like the RGB breakeout from BetterCable would be about $250...Jeez, I just bought a new progressive scan Panasonic DVD player for less than that.

Sultan, what is your cheap but HDTV worthy cable command?!

ken

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Hi Albert,

I've never owned a Better Cables breakout but here's an

idea. Go over to the CRT forum and post a question asking

forum member KennyG for info. He uses a pretty long

breakout made by Better Cables. A couple of months

ago his cable got damaged and he borrowed my pccables

35 footer to use while his was being repaired. I'm sure

he will be able to tell you if he noticed any difference

with them. I would be curious to know the answer

too.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood:
Hi Ken,

I buy all my breakout cables from pccables.com

I'm using a 35 footer and am very pleased with it.

It's $39.99

Bob

Bob,

Have you ever compare the pccables with better cables?

I heard nothing but good things about bettercable products,but I agree it is not cheap enough for me. First, I heard of Pc cable..and if they are "almost" as good then it well worth the investment.

Thanks for your input ... Albert

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Bob- Thanks for the help. I just ordered the beakout from pccables at 39.99 - At that price difference it's got to be worth a shot. Although kennyG couldn't make a direct comparison, he certainly didn't mention noticing anything major either.

Thanks again for the reference

ken

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I think that it depends on the environment that your cable is running through. My VGA to VGA cable definitely is picking up some interference, where my VGA to BNC isn't. I am going to purchase a Better Cables VGA to VGA to improve this. Fortunately my VGA to 5BNC is working just fine and it was pretty cheap. BTW my runs are about 25'.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Good luck, Ken. Hope you get good results.

I mainly use the long breakout (DB15 to 5BNC) to connect my source devices to a 33" direct view monitor sitting across

the room. But I've also tested it with my CRT projectors and with my DILA and have not noticed any visible signal degradation.

I've never had a need to use a lengthy DB15 to DB15 so will defer to Cameron on that.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
806 Posts
I use direct component to component and highly recommend it. That way you can keep your other inputs free for other sources.

I run 1280 x 1024 with an ISCO-2, (using Dilard geometry tweaks), and it looks simply amazing.

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.