AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching dish tonight and left my STB in HD mode while skipping around to other(none hd channels) The picture looked alot better than when its in SD mode. Does the 6000 up convert the picture? Does anybody keep their 6000 in the HD mode all the time? Thanks in advance for your input!

Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
I only put the 6000 in HD mode when watching HD content. Two reasons why:

1) I prefer the line doubler in my Toshiba 65HX81 to the one in the 6000. The picture just looks better.

2) I prefer the stretch modes in my Toshiba 65HX81 to the stretch modes in the 6000. When the 6000 is set to HD it is upconverts to 1080i (or 720P depending on your setting) and therefore my TV's stretch modes are disabled.

--Louis

·
Registered
239 Posts
I leave mine in HD mode all the time.

1) I'm lazy

2) It's a pain to switch the dish receiver into SD mode and switch the TV to the appropriate video mode.

3) It's difficult for my wife and others to operate.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I leave unit in HD. I have a macro on my pronto that does the switch (that shows how lazy I am) but am very satisfied with the HD upconversion after the last couple of software updates. I cherish OAR and seldom stretch. I sometimes switch to SD for a letterboxed TCM or AMC movie, but now that the STB does aspect ratio control I don't have to (but PQ is a little better for these TW2/zoom type movies).

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my Mits it looks like in SD mode I can set my TV to 480P or 960i. Wouldn't it be a better picture if it's being shown in 1080i or is there some loss in the upconvert? I guess personnal preference has to come into play somewhere.

Jeff

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi:

Your projection TV has the Max. capacity to accept 1080i input. The best video quality will be by setting the 6000 at 1080i and bypass any processing from your TV. Although your TV will not able to resolve the max vertical resolution of 1920 lines from the HD sources, that is the best your TV can do! I hope it helps!

Alex

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I use my 6000 on an NEC LT100 with a 92" wide screen. The up-converted picture when I leave it in HD for no hdtv material is practically unwatchable. Does anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I leave my 6000 in HD mode all the time on my Mits 46807. The 480i signal upconverted by the 6000 looks better than letting the TV do it in standard mode (not much but every little bit helps).

The latest download of software seems to have started to automatically switch the mode between "normal" on HD channels and whatever you like on SD (stretch, etc.) This makes life easier for me :) Just started the last night or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input. I read from other posts that the mits has a poor line doubler, so the STB must do a better job. Very happy with my mits though. HD picture is stunning. Hoping to watch a PPV soon. I hear they have the best picture quality.?

Scott

·
Registered
547 Posts
I leave my Dish 6000 in HD all the time, lazy too I guess but little if PQ difference. Tonght when I switched to an HD channel the Dish went to NORMAL mode automatically and when I swithch back to a non HD channel it went to STRETCH. Is this new???

Bill G

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill G
I leave my Dish 6000 in HD all the time, lazy too I guess but little if PQ difference. Tonght when I switched to an HD channel the Dish went to NORMAL mode automatically and when I swithch back to a non HD channel it went to STRETCH. Is this new???

Bill G
Yes, it's new. It appears there are two memories for the current aspect mode-one for SD signals (480i/p) and one for HD signals (720p/1080i).

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
When I switch to SD mode, I get no component out. Is there a way to get component out in both SD and HD mode? or is it my projector?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot
When I switch to SD mode, I get no component out. Is there a way to get component out in both SD and HD mode? or is it my projector?
In SD mode, it's strictly an NTSC 480i out from the composite and S-video outputs. Component or VGA out is only active in HD mode.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

In SD mode, it's strictly an NTSC 480i out from the composite and S-video outputs. Component or VGA out is only active in HD mode.
Then it really is a pain to switch.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot

Then it really is a pain to switch.
Doesn't your projector require a different setting for NTSC that is matched to an S-Video or composite input?

Or why not leave the 6000 in HD mode all the time? That's what I do.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Just placed my order from Dish Depot.com and will be hooking the 6000 up to me Panasonic 47" HDTV. I will be getting Networks & CBS-HD through DISH, so I wonder if I should just leave it in HD mode all the time, and only go to SD mode when recording onto my JVC SVHS deck? This will be a new ballgame for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have to leave my Dish 6000 in SD mode, since I use it with a SA TiVo. Also, my Toshiba 65H81 picture is better at upconverting SD pictures than the Dish 6000.

Jerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.