AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Dish 6000 OTA Module up to snuff in locking and displaying OTA HD when compared to the latest wave of D*/OTA HD- STB's?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Of the 6 Digital OTA channels I can receive, the lowest signal strength according to the meter on the 6000 is 67% and it locks in rock solid. I have no regrets over purchasing this unit.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 6000 with the OTA module and with a 15 year old Winegard antenna on the roof, one with a few elements missing, I get a good lock on everything from Mount Wilson (I'm maybe 10-15 miles away in Marina del Ray area).

Here's a recap ...

Chan %%%

60 kcbs 87

36 knbc 87

31 ktla 90

53 kabc 75

43 kcal 90

65 kttv 87

66 kcop 86

59 kcet 94

So needless to say, it seems like decent unit (judging by my results and what others have to say)

Oh and the fan noise is kind of annoying, but nothing that sticking the 6000 in a cabinet wont fix.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine works great. Easily pulls in a better signal than a friend's DTC-100 that I tested with my antenna (a Radio Shack Yagi).

Since they updated the software on the 6000, and I upgraded to a 16:9 set, the only problem I've had is some breakups and overheating when I placed a DVD player on top of the unit. As soon as I re-arranged them (6000 on top), the problem went away, and it stays much cooler.

It remains to be seen how the 6000 performs once the software arrives to work properly with 4:3 sets. There have been multiple reports of glitches just outside the raster area when using the HD component outputs. On a 16:9 set, this doesn't matter (since you don't see it).

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
396 Posts
While I am generally satisifed with my Dish 6000 OTA tuner, it seems to take longer and have more difficulty initially locking onto the digital stations than does my RCA DTC-100. Once it has locked onto the signal, sometimes after flickering on & off a couple of times, it stays locked on very well. Both units are connected to the same antenna in my attic. I have no experience with the other DirecTV HD receivers

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm sorry. I'm with Chad guys. I NEVER use mine. Constant drop-outs and signal fluctuations. The DTC just below it locks rock-solid EVERY TIME on EVERY OTA station. Maybe mine's "bad." Dunno. All I know for sure is that exactly the same wire from the same antenna performs admirably on the DTC and if I "had" to try to watch the 6000, I'd throw the #[email protected]@ thing away.

MY 6000 OTA module purchase was a test case. It lost. I wrote mine off as yet another lesson learned in this hobby. At least this one was relatively cheap in the scheme of things. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan:
I'm sorry. I'm with Chad guys. I NEVER use mine. Constant drop-outs and signal fluctuations. The DTC just below it locks rock-solid EVERY TIME on EVERY OTA station. Maybe mine's "bad." Dunno. All I know for sure is that exactly the same wire from the same antenna performs admirably on the DTC and if I "had" to try to watch the 6000, I'd throw the #[email protected]@ thing away.

MY 6000 OTA module purchase was a test case. It lost. I wrote mine off as yet another lesson learned in this hobby. At least this one was relatively cheap in the scheme of things. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif
In all fairness, don't you have to consider the possibility that you have a defective unit? There have been such reports with problems disappearing after the module was replaced. I've certainly read of defective DTC 100's that functioned well after replacement. I think you do yourself and others a disservice by not exchanging the module and seeing if a new one gives better results.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Jerry:

With all due respect; QC at Dish is not my responsibility and while I acknowlege that a replacement (assuming I'm willing to argue for 2 hours with some flunky on the phone AND that he/she finally agrees that the unit IS defective) might resolve the problem, it's just not worth the trouble to me. They screwed up and shipped 100s of defective units (according to posts on this very forum) and that's not my fault. I don't have 2 hours for $100 piece of hardware. Not worth the time investment to me. Lesson learned. Cheap seafood ain't good and good seafood ain't cheap as many of you have seen me write time and again. $100 HD OTA module... I got what I paid for.

I sincerely appreciate your concern and others should duly note its importance. It's just not important to me.

Thanks for your comments.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've had my OTA since the beginning and had experienced some problems which have since been fixed by software updates with future updates on the horizon. All in all I have been pleased with my purchase. I have been able to watch the Super Bowl, NCAA, Masters, CBS primetime, HB0, and a few other programs in HD. My reception has been exceptional (I live over 60 miles away from the tower) and look forward to other stations that will come on line next year. I might replace this unit sometime in the future but up till now it still works as advertised.

------------------

nick

·
Registered
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan:
I'm sorry. I'm with Chad guys. I NEVER use mine. Constant drop-outs and signal fluctuations. The DTC just below it locks rock-solid EVERY TIME on EVERY OTA station.
Interesting... What kind of signal do you get, and how are you peaking/splitting the signal?

For me, with four different STBs, they all have their quirks with marginal signals. Give them all a good, steady, minimum multi-path signal and they all work great. (Each has different color gammas and color balances, but that's a different issue.)

For a very distant signal ~70 miles (using the CM parascope & 28db preamp), with good atmospheric conditions they all also lock on rock solid. But add a little wind or rain and the signal degredates. They all show dropouts, some more frequently then the others. But the interesting thing is they all don't show the same dropout at the same time. When the signal weakens further, the 6000 with 8VSB will lock in very well, while the DTC-100 won't even show a single frame. (The 6000 is the best at handling multi-path. The DTC-100's undoing for this case is because it changes the equalization too quickly. The Panasonic DST-50 is slower at changing its equalization, and for this case it helps. The Unity Motion doesn't "drop out", but rather will "freeze frame".)

Stay tuned for the next generation.... chipsets as well as 8VSB extensions.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you compared the following in 35_/- non-line of sight locations:

PARA-SCOPE

Model 4251

· Channels 14-69

· 7 ft. Diameter screen

· Deepest Fringe for maximum signal gain

Model 4228 A

8-BAY ANTENNA

Maximum gain bow and screen antenna.

· 8-Bay Bow

· Heavy-Duty Construction

· Aluminum Dipoles

· Painted Mast

· Painted Screen

Model 4248

UHF DIAMOND QUANTUM

Best Performing UHF YAGI on the Market Today!

· Fringe

· 80 1/2†Long

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine works great--never any problems!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I bought an antenna (UHF only) from Blake in the UK and I have excellent results with it. From my research on the internet, it has the best specs:

Model # JBX21WB

Boom length: 102.5 inches

Gain: 12.8 to 14.5 db (ref to dipole)

Front to Back ratio: 28 to 30 db

Acceptance Angle: 9 to 11 degrees.

This is really good for multipath rejection.

By comparison, the Ch Mstr 4248 specs. are:

Boom length: 80.5 inches

Gain: 10.2 to 12.4 db (ref to dipole)

Front to Back ratio: 17 to 24 db

Acceptance Angle: 20 to 42 degrees.

If you are interested, Blake is at www.blake-aerials.co.uk

I found them to be a very good supplier, but more expensive than Channel Master.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got the model 6000 with the terrestrial add-in and it seems to work OK, but I haven't used any other receiver to compare against. I am a bit disappointed on how many seconds it takes to lock into a channel. The "signal strength" meter seems to jump up and down a lot and I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally posted by jimg:
Stay tuned for the next generation.... chipsets as well as 8VSB extensions.
This is a nice thing about the add-in architecture . . . I am hoping that E* eventually releases new terrestrial 8VSB add-in carts when new 8VSB chipsets become available. I would be happy to pay for a new one that works a bit better and doesn't have a fan.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
cymro,

I took a look at www.blake-aerials.co.uk and they have some very interesting looking specialized antenna's. They have a much broader range of UHF antennas than Winegard and channel Master. How did you order yours, phone? How much did they charge for shipping to US?

Glenn

·
Registered
606 Posts
Glenn,

Last year I paid about $140.00 for the JBX21WB, including air shipment.

Aerials in the UK are sold in narrowband versions covering only a part of the UHF band as well as in wideband versions. The narrowband versions typically have about 2db more gain. For use in LA where the DTV stations range from Ch 30 to Ch 66, you need the wideband version. Note also that the channel numbers in the UK and Europe do not have a direct correspondence with US channel numbers. The table below gives a few examples (frequencies & UK ch #'s are approximations):

US Ch# UK Ch# Freq, MHz

14 21 473

28 31 557

66 59 785

I ordered by e-mail, and I sent a separate fax to a lady named Pam at Blake Aerials with my credit card info. As soon as they accepted my order, the antenna arrived in about five days. No duty was charged as far as I remember.

You don't need any special connector adapters to use it with a standard RG6 downlead.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Threads like this point out that sometimes this forum can be a two headed monster! I can remember posts begging dish to get the tuner cartridge out as well as other manufactures to do the same with their s.t.b's , regardless of a few software problems! My point is if you have dishnetwork and need ota digital feed then this is about your best option and almost your only one. If a few glitches bother you, than like everything else in this hobby sooner or later bigger and more improved will come along. So as always as we ponder are decision, there is really only too choices... buy now or wait http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
cymro,

moved this response to the Mt. Wilson OTA thread.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn_L (edited 04-28-2001).]

·
Registered
606 Posts
Glenn,

I think we're getting a little off topic, so I posted a reply to the question above in the thread re Mt. Wilson that you began because it's a more suitable thread for this topic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.