AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any takers .I need info on the Dish 6000 for HD TV. How is the upgrade? Do I need a special Satelite antenna?HOw many Channels in HD will I get? Is there an extra programing fee even if you bought the premium channels?

------------------

Raymond

·
Registered
62 Posts
It depends on where you live as far what channels you can get. You can get HBO and Showtime anywhere. You can get CBS-HDTV feed if you live in a grey area or are within range of a CBS-owned affliate. CBS prime-time line-up is mostly HDTV and college football on Saturdays. The price is $699, which includes the two dishes you need (one for HDTV programming @61.5 degrees and the other for all other channels). You can also buy an additional module for OTA broadcasts if any of your locals have gone Hi-def. I'm looking at buying one myself and have been doing a bit of research..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just took the plunge. Check out www.dishdepot.com. I have had great experiences with them recently and the prices are good.

I have the 501PVR and now a 6000. The menu/graphics don't seem as flashy as some of the DirectTV receivers but it gets the job done. I like the 6000 since it supports 720P and 1080i and the OTA module. I just installed the OTA last night, worked like a champ.

As far as channels go... HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, PPV-HD, and if you qualify CBS-HD. Check www.titantv.com to see if any local stations in your area are broadcasting in digital yet. If so you can get the OTA module and an off-air antenna to pick up those channels.

You will need a second dish pointing at the 61.5 or 148 slot. Both satellites broadcast the HD channels. You will also need a switch (Sw21, or Sw64) depending on the number of receivers you have.

As far as pricing goes... If you subscribe to HBO, you get HBO-HD at no additional charge, same goes for Showtime. CBS-HD (if you qualify) is no extra charge as long as you suscribe to DISH locals (4.99) PPV-HD movies are 5.99 each. I don't think they are worth it, rent a DVD or buy it for 10-12 bucks more.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Falcon Thanks for your advice .I need further clarificatin if you have both the 501 & 6000 hooked both at the same time

------------------

Raymond

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also need to Know if the 600 is a recorder?

------------------

Raymond

·
Registered
57 Posts
Raymond,

I use the 501PVR (recorder) in another room. I have the 6000 pluged into my HDTV. I went out and bought one of those 2.4Ghz receiver/transmitters from Radio Shack, which allows me to use both receivers on the same TV. The 501PVR will not record in HD.

I am using the twin LNB and Sw21 to tie the two satellites together.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
PPV-HD movies are 5.99 each. I don't think they are worth it, rent a DVD or buy it for 10-12 bucks more.
I was going to watch whatever PPV is playing on Dish this weekend in HD - Wouldn't the quality be way better in HD than on DVD?

My reason is just so I can see a full movie in HD since I don't do either HBO or Showtime. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the dish depot site & found it very useful.Good idea! Now I am thinking of having both receivers together & hooking them only to one TV.Should I wait until a Dish HD comes with PVR before buying?

------------------

Raymond

·
Registered
57 Posts
Roddie,

I think the video quality of the HD-PPV movies will vary of course. If you want to see what one would look like just tune in the PPV channel within 5 minutes of the movie starting and you will see how it looks. The quality is great but I do not think it is much better than a good anamorphic DVD. The best quality HD I have seen is the lame demo loop channel and the HD lineup on CBS. CSI and The Agency looked stunning last night on CBS-HD. These shows definitely look better than anything I have on DVD. HBO-HD does a nice job of upconverting to 1080i as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Raymond,

You can hook both receivers to the same TV, just make sure you have 2 RG6 runs to that location. I should have run an extra line but did not forsee the need when I moved in and I don't feel like drilling into my home at this time.

As for waiting, I don't know... I think the HD-PVR will be very expensive when it becomes available. I also assume it will consume a lot more disk space to record HD material. You may want to search the forum for info on the 721 and 921 Dish models. I think the 721 has two tuners in it so you can watch on one channel and record on another. It also has twice the disk space as the 501, which will allow for 80hrs of storage. I think it is $200 buck more than the 501.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
The quality is great but I do not think it is much better than a good anamorphic DVD.
Well - I gave in and ordered "Thirteen Days" on PPV-HD tonight and was quite impressed with the quality. I think this easily beat any DVD I've watched on my TV so far (non-progressive player). It wasn't as good as "The Agency" or "CSI" from Thursday night, but it still made my wife say "wow" a bunch of times. It was probably even worth the $5.99. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'd also like to throw in a good word for dishdepot.com - I got my 6000 receiver from them last week, Mark gave great service.

Roddie

[This message has been edited by roddie (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Roddie,

Glad you liked the quality of the movie. I still wish they would make them the same price as regular PPV movies.

I also bought my gear from DishDepot.com, service has been excellent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent Mark an E-mail at Dish Depot.This guy really answers!I am getting a hook-up of both the 6000 & my 501.This way I can watch HD & record regular TV.

Is there a good antenna for my roof so I can get the local channels without Cable?

------------------

Raymond

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.