AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get only 2 HDTV channels from Direct TV- would Dish 6000 give any more? Is the quality better? are outputs component/VGA or both? Is it worth switching to Dish?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Actually, rumor is that CBS-HD will start broadcasting tomorrow (8/14) at 5:00pm EDT. We'll see. But at LEAST, it's been announced well in advance, unlike DirecTV who won't commit to anything until it's up on the bird and broadcasting.

So let's sum this up again, because I don't think the full impact has been adequately reported:

First, Dish has twice the number of HDTV offerings that DTV does.

Dish has SHO-HD, DTV doesn't. More and more of their shows are true 1080i and less upconverts, and there's more programming coming all of the time. A lot has less to do with Showtime as it does with the individual studios and licensing. Regardless, it's still another channel that DTV does not have, and any additional HD content is better than nothing.

Dish's PPV channel is 24-hours, not like DTV's that only runs after midnight east coast time.

Dish's demo channel is outstanding. The recent Cubs vs. Rockies game was broadcast in HD from WGN on the demo channel.

Dish has CBS-HD, DirecTV hasn't even said they're talking to any major networks. This is a done deal, channels have been assigned, we're just waiting for them to turn the signal on. Dish has also said their goal is to get the other networks as well. We'll see.

Dish is simply far more aggressive in the HD world than DTV is at this moment in time. That can change after the sale of DTV takes place, and when they get more transponder slots available (Dish simply has more at this time). But for right, today, this minute, you can't even compare the two. Dish simply has more.

And the Dish 6000 is a very nice package for the price. Satellite receiver and STB rolled into one. When I switched to Dish from DTV earlier this year, I got the 6000 for less than I would have paid for just a DTV receiver. I paid several times less what I would have had to invest on an STB.

To answer you other questions, the Dish 6000 has both S-video and component outputs. Use the SD setting to watching material via S-video (480i). Switch to HD to get 1080i output. Anything that's not already in native 1080i format will get upconverted.

The 6000 also allows aspect ratio control in HD mode, which is a VERY nice feature. Image quality is excellent.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All you'll get with Dish is a 24 Hour HD Demo, HD PPV, HD HBO, and HD Showtime.

Who knows what Dish or DTV will do.

I say for now, Showtime is not worth the trouble to switch. They hadly play anything good these days. Wait a few months and see what DTV has planed.

As for equipment, the Dish 600 is awesome in my opinion. I love it. (Well, awesome in compairison to everything else on the market. No HD receiver has really impressed me much anyway.)

Bill

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget CBS-HD!! Not up yet, but it's coming.
Wait a minute, do I understand this right? DISH will have CBS in HD, no matter where you live? No BS waivers that are denied? How much extra is this, or is it extra at all?

I am considering the 6000 offer for Top 100 (new subscriber) which is a bargain at $9 a month, though the install will cost me. If I can get CBS via DISH in HD, that would be incredible and would put me over the edge on my decision.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You can get CBS-HD in areas where the CBS affiliate is owned & operated by CBS and a few other areas. Other then that you need a waiver.

In New York I will start getting CBS-HD starting at 5pm today.

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
You can get CBS-HD in areas where the CBS affiliate is owned & operated by CBS
OK, how do I find that out? Is there a list somewhere? Can I call DISH? Would they know?

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can get CBS-HD for $1.50 by itself, or it's included if you get the $5.00 locals package.

This press release lists the cities with CBS O&O stations that should be able to get CBS-HD without a waiver.

Be warned though, that lots of us are finding it difficult to get ourselves approved, because 90% of the Dish reps have no idea about this press release or the waivers.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My CBS HDTV is on right now.

I get HBO HDTV, Showtime HDTV, DISH HDTV Demo Channel which also broadcast the Cubs-Rockies game on WGN-DT and WCBS-DT from New York. There is also a DISH HDTV PPV channel.

So there are a total of five channels of HDTV on DISH Network.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baja190:
Is CBS-HD available on both satellites, 148 and 61.5
yes. WCBS-DT on 61.5 and KCBS-DT on 148.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Robertson:
since i'm not in one of the O&O cities, how do i tell if i'm in the "white area"?
Use the address broker on the DISH website. If you qualify for your locals I believe you automatically qualify for CBS-HD as well.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
So, since I do not qualify on that site, I am **** out of luck?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Talk REAL NICE to your local CBS station and submit a waiver request through Dish.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin:
I get only 2 HDTV channels from Direct TV- would Dish 6000 give any more? Is the quality better? are outputs component/VGA or both? Is it worth switching to Dish?
HD channels on DirecTV - 2

Demo, HBO

HD channels on Dish - 4

Demo, HBO, Showtime, CBS HD (where available)

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

[This message has been edited by David Richardson (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I were to buy into DSS today, I would have chosen Dish Network instead of DTV. Right now there is not enough difference to change and there is the slight possibility the DTV will begin getting serious about HDTV in the future. Right now I get CBS for free OTA and that is not enough to justify 600 dollars more for one or even two channels. Last night I had a choice of 4 different programs in HD. You can only watch so much TV! But I did watch PBS them HBO HD the rest of the night and I missed The ABC movie. Just not enough time in the evening. Dish is the best way to go if your are new and just buying equipment. There is a better selection of STB with DTV, but that could change.

P Joy

------------------

HDjunky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.