AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tim,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the FireWire mod for the DTC-100 has not shipped, no one actually has one. Some think it may never ship. See the 169time threads in the AVS HDTV Recording Forum for details.

That's why the Dish 5000 & HD Modulator are such hot items. And yes, a DBS/HDTV OTA receiver with FireWire output would be very popular, at least around here.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't remember the name of the outfit that was doing the mods so I searched DejaNews. I went to their website and it said they were filling orders and were severly backlogged. I guess what that meant on whatever planet they are on is "we have no product but lots of orders".

Since they aren't actually shipping anything they could just as easy announce a mod for the Dish 6000! That could double their income in a matter of days. More importantly it would bring down the price of the HD modulator to a more reasonable level.

Tim

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Re: DTC100 firewire mod

169time has been changing their website every few weeks to say that they are reorganizing and keep pushing back their "first ship" date.

There are people with longtime deposits who are upset and want their money back. There is some talk that the whole thing may be vaporware. Persoanlly I wouldn't send them any money right now even if they claim to be taking orders again.

And yes, they *did* announce a Dish6000 modification even though the DTC100 product has yet to ship.

I think the biggest posibiliy for something to drop the price of the Dish5000/mod combo would be if Dish goes through with their plans to ship a PVR type device that records HDTV. Imagine a Dish6000 with a built in hard disk. They announced it was under development and may actually be for sale next year. I suppose someone like UltimateTV or TiVo could also come out with a DirecTV PVR which would also provide a "more integrated" HDTV recording platform.

Short term prospects are for Dish 5000 mod prices to say very high, but who knows what new technology will show up next year and make them become old news.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I was trying to buy a dish 5000 modulator but have noticed that prices have gone insane. The problem now is that the prices are so high that the danger of a new recording means or dish 5000 modulator block by dish is too great. For $200 I would risk it, but for $800+ it's too great of a risk to buy the modulator.

The DTC-100 had a mod to allow it to output a signal. Does the Dish 6000 have the same mod available. If not, it sure seems like it would be worthwhile for someone to develop one. Just look at the prices and interest there is in being able to record full HDTV.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.