AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned on my 6000 to be greeted by attention new software availiable message, the software version is now: 751PCNAD-N

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Any news on changes? What was the most recent number? This wasn't a new receiver activation?

Maybe the rest of the OTA switching problems have been fixed.

JerryG, where are you?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
Any news on changes? What was the most recent number? This wasn't a new receiver activation?

Maybe the rest of the OTA switching problems have been fixed.

JerryG, where are you?
I'm still here. Just haven't been posting as much.

Wasn't 751 released a while back to include the scan features and 4:3 support, or was that 750. I'll make some phone calls and check.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
This wasn't a new receiver activation?
No, it wasn't. I got the update last evening after 10pm east. I noticed the yellow panel light pulsing for 5-10 minutes, then the receiver reset. With all the activity yesterday, I didn't take the time to figure out what had been changed.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G:
Wasn't 751 released a while back to include the scan features and 4:3 support, or was that 750.
750 was released on July 19. Yesterday's 751 is new!

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Does this update happen to have separate aspect ratio control for 1080i? I'm not taking this upgrade unless it'll automatically switch to "NORMAL" mode upon detecting an HD channel.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick G:
Does this update happen to have separate aspect ratio control for 1080i? I'm not taking this upgrade unless it'll automatically switch to "NORMAL" mode upon detecting an HD channel.
Hopefully, this will NEVER occur. If I'm in the stretch mode and switch to an HD channel that is broadcasting 4:3 material, I want that stretch mode to remain. If it's widescreen material, it's absolutely no big deal for me to hit the * button a few times to go to 'normal'.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's too bad the receiver can't differentiate between 4:3 material and 16:9 1080i material. (It can't, can it?) Personally, I would love to have the receiver automatically switch to "normal" whenever a true 1080i 16:9 picture comes up. That way, I can set my receiver to show gray bars all the time for 4:3 and have them automatically drop when I get the 16:9 picture, then come back when it goes back to 4:3.

If the switching were instantaneous with the 6000, it wouldn't be a problem. It's the signal drop for more than a few seconds while switching aspect ratios that's the problem for me. My Toshiba drops for less than a second when switching picture sizes. The 6000 takes 5 times longer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Why in the hell would you "NEVER" want separate aspect ratio control for SD & HD? This is a no-brainer, and something that would greatly increase the functionality and usability of the receiver.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I hope this might fix the "cbs is NBC, nbc is cbs, and we'll forget what is what and call them all abc" bugs. Also maybe the "aquiring signal" I sometimes get when switching hitting guide on a local digital channel.

------------------

-- Randell

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good news: My virtually mapped channel 80-x (NHPTV channel 57, a PBS affiliate), reverted to channel 57-x. So now I don't have to switch back and forth between Off-Air and Cable mode in Install/HDTV set-up to get it.

Bad news: I had a channel 57-x (WGBY -- another PBS affiliate) which was a virtual map of channel 58 and now that entry is gone. (Yet another Boston channel that has virtual mappings didn't change -- WBZ channel 30 is still mapped to channel 004-1.

Can I vote for a switch to disable channel mapping?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well, DAMN. The channel-change bug has not been fixed. This remains the most annoying problem with the 6000's operation. &^@*(!

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't noticed anything that's fixed but I can confirm that the NBC/CBS assignment problem for adding in local channels on the 8VSB is NOT fixed, they're still flipped.

BTW - anybody know why they haven't added a network assignment choice for FOX, I'd say it's big enough to count ?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Jim,

I'm with you. The APG on the Tosh/Mits/Hughes/Panny is a much better approach, but at least user labels would be a way to get there.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
My signal is weaker now and I can no longer pick up Showtime.

Anyone else in the Boston Area that can give me an idea what the signal strength is around here on 61.5 bird?

It was always weak. About 50, but now it's down to 35.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What the heck! I just got my 6000 (used) last week so I went to check if I got the new software and mine is still on version 690! When I go to New Features it tells me that there is no new software. I just powered it down again. Obviously it has been powered down a few times in the past week as my brother and I set it up, but I'm hoping that since there is a new software version it might download it.

I was optimistic when I saw the SD light blinking--the optimism was well placed since it is now updated to 751 (which now allows me to indicate if I have a 16:9 or 4:3 set--before it wouldn't let me choose 16:9 although it appeared to work properly).

[This message has been edited by richierich (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jesup:
I hope this might fix the "cbs is NBC, nbc is cbs, and we'll forget what is what and call them all abc" bugs.
That one drove me nuts. I thought I was going crazy until I figured out what it was doing.

Hey, I think I remember you from comp.sys.amiga.*

-Jonathan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.