AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from work and booted the Dish 6000, it said new software version available. I have it off now and am trying to get the new SW. Current version is 691PCNAD-N. I hope that this is the long awaited upgrade with fixes, 1080i stretch modes, and the OTA scanning among other things. Does anyone else have the new SW to confirm and also does anyone have the new full feature list for this new version?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New features continued:

Two modes for OTA scanning (Digital and Analog). Not quite sure how they work yet but I'll get to that when I get some time. Also has 2 modes for 4x3 HDTVs (with and without squeezing built into TV). Muted colors on analog now appear to be fixed. Colors look pretty similar b/w Sat, OTA D, and OTA A version of same channels. This was with eyeball test with Fox. That's all for now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It seems that the zoom modes for SD channels may be broken, but maybe not. The first time I hit the * button it reverted from the channel I was on to a Dish Info channel. But this time it worked as it did before so maybe it was an uncommon glitch. Nope, it's not an uncommon glitch. If the SD channel you're currently on isn't in the current guide, for me it's switching to Channel 580, International Promotion Info. Maybe they want me to buy international channels... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The order on the zoom modes also seems different. It seems to go Normal, Stretch, Partial Zoom, Full Zoom and Gray Bar. Also, Partial Zoom works perfectly now whereas before it had a small black line across the bottom. It's cool that all the zoom modes work with the HD channels though a little wierd in that you can use stretch mode. More flexible is good though...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

[This message has been edited by ultimate (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
My friends receiver had the new update but the demo channel had disappeared. Also, the HBOHD movie "Little ..in Big China?" with Kurt Russell was in SD when I think I remember seeing it before in HD. Did the software update reset some switch to show HD as video?

Jack

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone had the problem where it sets 1080i channels to Stretch also? Maybe I'm missing something... however before I would set it to Stretch for everything so standard 4:3 would fit the screen to avoid burn in, but 1080i and 720p wouldn't stretch at all and fill the screen correctly. Now it stretches everything, including 1080i that already fill the screen... VERY annoying...

-Mikw

·
Registered
254 Posts
While I'm thankful for the added flexibility to strech 1080i 4x3 material, the modes leave something to be desired. As previously mentioned, they stretch the 8vsb upconverted OTA SD, OTA HD, Dish SD and HD channels. This presents a small problem for those with 16x9 TVs in that you can't just leave it set to stretch mode. As this will stretch all 4x3 programming (Dish and OTA analog) and 16x9. When you tune to an HD channel you have to hit the * to get it back to normal to view the full program and then change to stretch for the SD material.

I have a 4x3 with the verticle squeeze. This is even more fustrating. I used to have it set to strech the 4x3 SD material. This resulted in a correct aspect ratio when watching with the TVs squeeze mode off. When I would tune to a 16x9 HD program, I could hit my remotes macro to activate the squeeze. Simple one button push back and forth.

Now If I'm watching SD the 6000 must be in STRETCH mode and the verticle squeeze off. If I tune to a 16x9 HD channel, I must change the 6000 to normal and activate the squeeze on my TV. I'm going to try to set up a macro but it will require the 6000 to go from stretch, partial zoom, full zoom, gray bars to normal and activating the squeeze feature in order to view HD 16x9. In order to the go to a 4x3 SD channel, a seperate macro will have to switch the verticle compression off and change the 6000 from normal to stretch. Throw in the 4x3 HD from either 4x3 SD or 16x9 HD and there is a whole lot of button pushing. Pretty complex.

As I said, I'm happy to have the flexibility but I question whether a better system could have been put in place. It seems to me that it could have been developed to control the aspect ratio differently based upon whether the image is on a SD or and HD channel. Tie it into the channel map. That way I could set it to stretch the SD channels and set the HD channels to normal. The only button I would then need is the squeeze button for my TV.

I don't have any OTA HD yet but can someone check and see if you still need to be connected to the dish to get OTA channels?

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79:
Does the dish 6000 have a build in hd and capable of recording?
No. DishPlayer and PVR501 are the only Dish units with a HD and neither is HD capable.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Dish 6000 does not have PVR capability (yet).

Appears Guide Info & PSIP works to the extent that local sations use it. (Can't confirm guide info in Boston, as none are providing).

Does appear grey bar gives grey bars even when Normal is full screen. Problem here is of course forgetting to set to normal. Issue with Big Trouble in Little China???? Solution is not to use stretch for regular HD.....

Promo channel is there. Laurie in Raliegh....

Flexibility has it's price. I'll have to put the "*" on the main Dish page on my Pronto. I usually use grey bars for SD material, but will probably just leave normal now.

If OTA switching has finally lost the bugs a big Thanks Dish Network!!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Get used to pressing that "*" button!

Is it me, or does the information menu load instantaneously!?

Oops, had to add one more negative, a mistake on Dish's part really. On the OTA module (well, on mine anyway), when programming ATV stations. My NBC, and CBS designations are switched. When I added my local CBS affiliate, it showed up as NBC, and when I added the local NBC station, you guessed it, it showed up as CBS. I've worked around this by reversing them up front, so that they display correctly. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'd also like to add, that I also noticed that the OTA stations appear to be more.... well, what 's the word I'm looking for? Clearer? More vibrant? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Spence

------------------

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"

- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The situation with the * button and later I noticed the recall button seems to have settled down.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the HD channels are a little "brighter" and better looking. I have Six Feet Under on now zoomed and it looks quite nice, though I won't watch the whole thing. The SD channels look about the same to me...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I just wish that they would have left the auto-aspecting from the original software. It is a pain in the neck to use the * button all the time now.

And on top of that, anyone notice how stretch and zoom do cut off about an inch on each side of a 4x3 picture? And that is even on my RCA MM52110.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Michael,

Do you think it could be the overscan on your TV?

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis:
I just wish that they would have left the auto-aspecting from the original software. It is a pain in the neck to use the * button all the time now.

I just can't believe the complaints on this issue. I knew it was going to happen. Does nothing every satisfy some of you?????

What you have now is the flexibility that NO other STB can offer. One of the biggest complaints many of us had was that with 1080i or 720p signals, 4:3 material had side bars on 16:9 sets. This meant possible burn in. We now have the ability to stretch these programs. Also for those who don't like top and bottom bars with 2.35 movies, the zoom mode can be used to eliminate the bars and simulate the HBO pan and butcher mode for 2.35 movies. So what if you have to hit the * button a few times????? Isn't it worth it to have this flexibility?????? And yes, there have been a few times I had the 6000 is stretch mode and was watching an HD transfer and didn't even realize it for a few minutes. So what? Big deal.

Dish didn't have to do this and give us this wonderful flexibility. And now people are bitching about it. I'm very disappointed to see this. I'm sorry about the rant, but I had to get it off my chest. I wouldn't blame Dish if they stopped being innovative and trying to provide unique features after reading some of the responses to this new update.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
...and when I added the local NBC station, you guessed it, it showed up as CBS.
That bug has been around as long as the 8VSB Module. You can go in an correct it after you have all your channels in.

Quote:
anyone notice how stretch and zoom do cut off about an inch on each side of a 4x3 picture?
Generally, I would expect them to, and I believe did it before. If you're viewing 16x9 material and you zoom, the top-bottom aspect gets filled and you loose the sides - makes sense if you're trying to keep the same aspect ratio.

If you go stretch, the assumption that the programmers might make (And not unreasonably IMHO) is that you're stretching the material to fill a whole 16x9 screen.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.