AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my dish 6000 box last night. I currently have a dish 500 setup with 2 other recievers. My 2nd dish antenna gets installed next week. Until then, I'm using the 6000 as a regular(?) dish reciever with the 8vsb installed and a Silver Sensor antenna (with rat shack powered amp) for the indoor OTA HD antenna.

I really expected the 6000 manual to give me more technical info than it does. As such, since I'm new to the 6000, I have a few questions I'm hoping folks out there can answer?

Where is the best source of on-line info for the dish 6000 box? (besides this forum)

Is there a technical manual of any kind on line somewhere?

When using the box in HD mode, I get no sound through my home theater setup. Sound works great in sd mode, so I'm pretty sure my audio connections are right. Is there some menu setting or switch that I failed to set?

What are the sub channel, channels? e.g. if one of my HD OTA stations is channel 20, I see 20-01 and 20-02 in the display. At least in my limited use last night, only one of the subchannels has anything displaying on it.

The picture in SD mode looks better than the picture I got from my old reciever (a 4700). Does the 6000 up-convert the displayed SD signal to some higher level than the other dish network recievers?

Are there any tips, tricks, gotcha's, etc that would be good to know?

The OTA antenna (Silver Sensor) got no useable signal without the Radio Shack powered amp. With the amp, I am able to get 2 of the 4 or 5 available OTA HD signals. Does anyone know of a better indoor antenna setup? Yes, I could maybe do a standard UHF antenna in the attic of the nextdoor unit (i dont have an attic), but would rather avoid that if at all possible. An outdoor UHF antenna is not an option.

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above.

[This message has been edited by cab (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
943 Posts
As for the audio problem. The component video cables are for video only. You either have to hook up a Dolby Digital toslink cable to your A/V receiver or the rca audio cables, left and right to your a/v left right input.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I went with the Dish 6000 setup to get High Def from OTA and Dish recently myself. I was using a powered old RCA antenna to get the OTA stations and they weren't working that well. I found out about the Silver Sensor and ordered one. I now can get much stronger signals than what I got before and another station I wasn't able to obtain.

I've found the SS is very directional. If its not facing the proper direction you get no lock and hit and miss signals. If you haven't already, try moving all over the place.

I am curious about the Radio Shack power amp your using, because I'm still not able to recieve 1 of the stations in my area (not at full power). Could you let me know what exactly you are using that helped your signal?

As far as sub channels, it seems they are sometimes used, and sometimes not. In my area, PBS is broadcasting on with sub channels 1 and 2. The first is Standard Definition regualar PBS and the second is a HighDef Demo loop.

No special tips or tricks with the 6000, just be patient switching channels. As you've probably noticed, its nowhere near fast.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jerryez

Yup, I knew that. I have the component cables and the rca, and the svideo all plugged in.

The component cables from the dish 6000 go to my component-in on the monitor. All the audio / video rca / svideo outputs are hooked up. Set # 1 goes to the Tivo, Set #2 goes to the Reciever and then back out to the monitor via svideo cable. I might have 1 and 2 reversed in the above, but all the audio connections, are connected. I just dont understand why the audio cuts out when I put the 6000 in hd mode. I do also have the TOSLink cable connected.

Drew_N

I do know about how directional the Silver sensor is. I did a bunch of fiddleing and diddleing with it last night and what I have, is the best I can get, I think. I'll let you know tonight what rat shack amp it is. I'm not at home right now. I think it cost 24.95 or 29.95 and I found it on their website and then asked for that specific item. I'll look when I get home for a stock number or something.

I also have the rat shack $18.00 double bow-tie antenna sitting on a shelf. I'll try that tonight, but I would doubt that it could be any better than the Silver Sensor.

I wish I could get the PBS channel. I'm in the boston area and as far as I know, they are transmitting in test mode right now, but that's one of the stations I can't pull in. It would be real interesting to see them using the subchannels for SD vs HD. That would be a great way for me to do an almost side by side comparison.

[This message has been edited by cab (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
When using the box in HD mode, I get no sound through my home theater setup. Sound works great in sd mode, so I'm pretty sure my audio connections are right. Is there some menu setting or switch that I failed to set?
Make sure you have set up your 6000 to pass Bitstream/PCM so you get all sound out the toslink cable.

As for "gotchas": When setting up your Analog CBS/NBC channels, select NBC for CBS and CBS for NBC, otherwise, they will be reversed, thanks to the last software update.

When sitting on an OTA channel for much longer than about 10 minutes, don't press the GUIDE button, use the transparent BROWSE to go up and down the channels or key in the channel you want to go to directly or you will likely get the "Acquiring Sat Signal" screen.

Another annoying "bug" is if you are in a Favorites list and key in a channel that is NOT in your Favorites list, then press the * key to change modes, you will be dumped to channel 989? or possibly another of Dish's "Barker" channels.

If you want to have your Guide stay updated overnight, leave the power off or tune to an SD channel (no OTA or HD). However, if you power off on any channel, including an OTA channel, the guide will update.

I have emailed Dish Tech support on the above issues and they are aware of the issues and claim to be working on a fix.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:)

Well, I solved the audio problem. Doh! Stupid user / cable error on my part. Once I rechecked all my connections, in daylight, things were very clear what the problem was.

Just for the heck of it, I stopped in to the local Radio Shack and asked what they had for indoor HD antennas. They have a new amplified model out that lists for 79.95. What the heck, I tried it. It's going back to the store. It didn't pick up anything. Well, It did pick up one hd ota station, but the signal was so weak, no lock was possible. It looks like the Silver Sensor and rat shack amp are the way to go. I still have a few days to decide if I want to bother with begging for permission for an attic uhf antenna. Dont know which way to go there. It's not the money, as much as it is the relations with the folks next door. Right now, I think I'll stick with the Silver Sensor. I am surprised that it gets a much better signal than anything else I have tried. A great deal for cheap money. I actually talked to one shop that tried to sell me a huge (for indoor anyway) Terk antenna for 400.00!

Has anyone tried the Silver Sensor outdoors? There is one place I could mount it outdoors, that has a line of sight (i think) to the towers, and would not be noticable. I may try that when the installer gets here. It would take about 125 to 150 feet of coax, but that's cheap. I wonder how well the Sensor would hold up to New England weather?

thanks for all the info and help!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right, from the description, that does look very interesting. It's also something that could be mounted in the one spot I thought I might try the Silver Sensor outdoors. I will give them a buzz on Monday. I'll also ask the store if they carry them, or can get them, between now and friday.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Good to hear your making some progress.

I'm actually doing what you've been asking about...that is using the Silver Sensor outside. I didn't try it that much inside, but didn't really want an antenna sitting on my home theater equipment. So I put it outside on my balcony (I live in an apartment), and it works great. Will it hold up? I have no idea, but its working good so far. Hopefully with the amplifier, PBS will be available to me all the time. Right now its quite moody.

Is this the amplifier you got from Radio Shack?
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1115

Its catalog # is 15-1115.

Where did you put it in relation to the antenna? I assume its supposed to be as close to the antenna as possible.

·
Registered
708 Posts
cab, where did you get the Silver Sensor and how much was it? Could you give me the model number so I can look it up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Soycrema
cab, where did you get the Silver Sensor and how much was it? Could you give me the model number so I can look it up?

Thanks,
I got it from a canadian dealer. NBTElectronics I think. I'll grab the paperwork tonight. Wait till I reply again. He ends up ordering from someone here in the states. So, he ordered from here in the states, it went to canada, and then back to me here in the states. I'll see if I can get all the info at work today. You could try searcing here on the forums as well. That's where i found the original info and contacts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.