AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a dish 6000 with off air card and live 20 miles E of Seattle. I have tried to get some local HD reception using a Channel Master directional 3023 and a Terk 50. Both using pre amps. In either case when I turn the amp on the signal goes to 0? When off I get 50 - 60. Why would the signal go down when the amp is on? I have tried several locations for the anttena but get the same results. Has anyone had a good experience with the dish 6000 and a UHF antenna with a pre amp? Also is there anyone out there selling a UHF signal stregth meter to help me find a good location? Thanks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The one thing that good-old analog TV gave us was a visual indication of signal issues. So what happens to your reception of analog UHF stations with/without the preamp?

My first guess is that you have a multipath problem as opposed to a signal strength problem, so the preamp is just overloading the receiver. But, if so, you should observe the same thing on the analog stations.

Gerald C

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have the Dish 6000 with the off-air module, and live in Kansas City. Before buying a UHF antenna I hooked up a cheap old set of rabbit ears I had lying around, and the reception on all available channels was in the 80's.

I then went to radio shack and bought a couple different amplified and non-amplified UHF antennas. Neither worked as well as the rabbit ears, and the amplified was the worst.

The odd thing is that I live about 20 miles from the towers, and my set up is in the basement. I didn't expect to get anything at all. Turns out the cheapest solution (and the one that apparently shouldn't have worked) was the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.