AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I now have the funds for a STB to add to my MM52100. I currently have DISH Network, but I am working on a solution to also add DirecTV for NFL/NHL games. I am very happy with DISH and don't wish to switch. Should I just get a Dish 6000 + a regular DTV rcvr, or should I look into a DTC-100? I am thinking of putting up a DTV oval dish and feeding the 110/119 to the DISH Network rcvr and the 101 to the DTV rcvr. My question is since I need a DTV rcvr, should I go with the DTC-110 and solve my DTV and OTA HD needs, or get a DISH 6000 and also buy a cheapie DTV rcvr. I am more interested in OTA HD than HBO HD, so getting HD over the DISH isn't crucial. Price is not a deciding factor either. Any recommendations pro or con would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I am not sure I understand your proposed set up. The DirectTV 18x24 dish does not have a 110 output. It only sees 101 and 119. If you have a Dish 500 it sees 110 and 119.

Many people say that if NFL is your prime interest you should go DirecTV, If HD satellite channels is your main interest you should go Dish. DirecTV has 2 HD channels - HBO HD and a combined demo/PPV channel. Dish has 4 - HBO HD, Sho HD, a PPV HD, and a HD Demo channel. If you want Dish HD you need a separate dish to see either the 61.5 or 148 satellite. For DirecTV you need the 24x18 dish. Dish has separate satellites for HD so they have more HD bandwidth available.

I have the Dish 6000 with OTA, a Toshiba 65" widescreen, and a 5.1 sound system and I love it.

Rick

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SGT McBain:
Should I just get a Dish 6000 + a regular DTV rcvr, or should I look into a DTC-100
I think you may be confusing the Dish 6000 with the Dish 5000. There is a $99 terrestrial 8VSB module for the dish 6000 that will receive terrestrial ATSC DTV. ($99 at sears) The Dish 5000 required an HDTV modulator and then another ATSC receiver. . . . 3 boxes!

BTW, why not satellite HD? I think HBO-HD is the best HD available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, here's the deal. I am going to setup a RCA DSA8900E elliptical dish which can handle 3 LNBS (101, 110, 119).

Check out figure 4A at http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

I am going to use the 101 LNB to get DTV and 110/119 to get DISH. My question is which is better at doing HD; primarily OTA HD? DISH 6000 or DTC-100. Since I am going to have to get a DTV rcvr to work with that 101 LNB would it be better for me to get a DTC-100, thus solving my DTV and OTA HD requirements. Or, get a DISH 6000 to replace my DISH 4000 (for OTA HD and DISH) + a cheap DTV recvr (for NHL CI on DTV). Normally I would just go ahead and get the DISH 6000, but I have heard of some issues and thought I might save myself some headaches if I asked for some advice first on which route to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe both are equally capable of producing a HDTV picture : However, if you own a true 4*3 HDTV then you should get the dtc because the 6000 doesn't reformat the 16*9 picture but the the dtc does.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a DISH 6000 with OTA module and am very happy with this combination. If you want sports via sat ...get direct TV. If movies in HD is important ...get DISH.

The DTC-100 has an OTA advantage in that is does not need to see a sat signal to decode OTA ... you can use it as a stand alone OTA decoder. Dish 6000 OTA decoder must get a sat signal to work (at this time).

So if I am reading you correctly ... keep DISH and find a used DTC-100 to use for just OTA decoding. If you want to spring for NFL package ... drop DISH and get a full Direct TV DTC-100 package.

Impala Bob http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Impala Bob:
I have a DISH 6000 with OTA module and am very happy with this combination. If you want sports via sat ...get direct TV. If movies in HD is important ...get DISH.

The DTC-100 has an OTA advantage in that is does not need to see a sat signal to decode OTA ... you can use it as a stand alone OTA decoder. Dish 6000 OTA decoder must get a sat signal to work (at this time).

So if I am reading you correctly ... keep DISH and find a used DTC-100 to use for just OTA decoding. If you want to spring for NFL package ... drop DISH and get a full Direct TV DTC-100 package.

Impala Bob http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
I also have a model 6000 with the 8VSB module and I am quite happy with it. I'd suggest that you get a 6000 and the 8VSB module and get a cheap DirecTv setup for just the Sunday Ticket and Centre Ice. I know that DirecTv is required by the NFL to sell you just Sunday Ticket if you want it. Dish is cheaper for everything else, and if you are happy with them stay with them.

/carmi

·
Registered
232 Posts
As far as the performance of the off-air tuners, the Dish6000 with OTA module and the DTC100 are nearly identical. I did a side-by-side comparison of the two and they both performed about the same. This was done with two very strong signals, and two relatively weak signals.

Both performed better than either the Panasonic DST51 or the DST50, both of which had trouble with the weaker stations.

Any RCA 8900E dish (18"x24") can be outfitted with three LNBs to receive all three satellites (101, 110 and 119).

If I were you, I would keep your Dish4000 and get a DTC-100. You get an extra antenna input (the DTC100 has two), the aspect ratio control for a 4:3 display and in my opinion, the DTC100 is much more user-friendly

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.