AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The XBR400 arrives Friday, and I'm shopping for a source for HD programming. I've read hundreds of posts on Dish v. Directv, but they're all focussed on programming and picture quality. All I want is the HD stuff, and I'm more concerned about the equipment. (I'll get an antenna for OTA HD, whichever sat system I go with.)

As everyone here knows, E* has both HBO and Showtime in HD, but you're stuck with the Dish 6000. With Directv, you've got less programming, but many choices for the STB. All the dealers near me are sold out of the HD100 (but are expecting more), so I haven't had the chance to see one in operation. Putting cost and programming aside, would I be better off with the HD100 as a match with the XBR? Which works better for 1080i material that's 4:3? The HD100 already has a reputation for being hot and noisy, and I haven't seen that said about the 6000. Can anyone here compare the two for me?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hawley:
I've read hundreds of posts on Dish v. Directv, but they're all focussed on programming and picture quality. All I want is the HD stuff, and I'm more concerned about the equipment.
You should be more focused on the programming. Regarding the equipment, look at it this way . . . E* only has to support the model 6000 where as DTV must support all those different receivers. Which do you think gets more support & s/w updates? Just something to consider.

Quote:

Which works better for 1080i material that's 4:3?
There is no 1080i material that is 4:3. At least there shouldn't be. Perhaps you meant upconverted SDTV material?

Quote:
The HD100 already has a reputation for being hot and noisy, and I haven't seen that said about the 6000. Can anyone here compare the two for me?
Well, the 6000 also has a reputation (by some) of being hot & noisy. I ordered one and I'll let you know when I get it. If it is noisy, that will force me to add a glass door to my component shelves quickly . . . but that may introduce heat problems. Perhaps I'll have to add a vent/fan to the cabinet that blows air directly up into the attic.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably do mean upconverted SD material. It seems to me that if I have a 4:3 set capable of 1080i, and I'm receiving 4:3 material that's 1080i, even if upconverted, then the STB ought to allow the set to show it as 4:3 in 1080i, without black bars all around it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think you need to judge the fan noise for yourself. I had the Dish 6000 prior to the HD100 and both fans were about the same. I would recommend the HD100 over the 6000. I had Dish for about 8 months and I was not impressed. In my opinion the HD100 is a much nicer receiver. With the release of all of these new DirecTV HD receivers it is only a matter of time until DirecTV increases their HD content. Despite what some others say, DirecTV has plenty of bandwidth for more HD programming. I believe that currently DirecTV has 2-3 transponders reserved for HD on the 119 satellite. If you absolutely have to have Showtime now then DirecTV is probably for you, but if you are more interested in the equipment then there is no question that you will receive a better selection with DirecTV.

Gary

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
I probably do mean upconverted SD material. It seems to me that if I have a 4:3 set capable of 1080i, and I'm receiving 4:3 material that's 1080i, even if upconverted, then the STB ought to allow the set to show it as 4:3 in 1080i, without black bars all around it.
Sorry, I misspoke. I should have said 480i material line-doubled to 480p. There is no 4:3 material in 1080i. Period. It is not one of the 18 ATSC formats. When your 4:3 TV gets 1080i (HDTV) material, it displays it with black bars on top and bottom. When your 4:3 TV gets 480i material, it (probably) upconverts to 480p and displays it as full screen 480p. When it gets 480p, it displays it as full screen 480p.

I think I know what you are talking about though . . . do you sometimes get 4:3 material that is displayed as a little box in the middle of the TV with black bars on both top/bottom and side/side? That happens when the broadcaster has created "letterbox" 4:3 that is being broadcast as 16:9 material in 1080i with black bars on the two sides. Your 4:3 TV then adds black on the top and bottom, thus creating the box. The broadcaster is making the mistake and should be broadcasting that source 4:3 material as 480p.

However, some would say that *you* made the mistake of buying a 4:3 HDTV . . . . ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a dish 6000 with the OTA module and found it quite noisy but not hot. I'm running it with a 4:3 60" Mitsubishi and the picture is quite nice but 4:3 material has the bars all around. There is an unimplemented menu item for telling the 6000 if the TV is 16:9 that I assume will take care of that at some point, but I just watch 4:3 material in SD mode and it fills the TV with a good quality picture. That said, I'm more of a gadgeteer than an afficiendo, so I'm probably easier to please than most here.

Without the OTA module there is no noise as the fan is on the module. I ended up taking the fan off the OTA a couple of weeks ago (quite simple to do) and it still works fine and the 6000 case immediately above it feels cool to the touch. However, I do not have it in a cabinet. And if the heat does shorten the OTA's lifespan, I'd rather buy a new one every other year than listen to the noise when I'm not watching TV. With the TV on I never noticed the noise. (The stupid fan runs even when you power off the 6000 off otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tanstfl:
I've got a dish 6000 with the OTA module and found it quite noisy but not hot. I'm running it with a 4:3 60" Mitsubishi and the picture is quite nice but 4:3 material has the bars all around. . . . [snip] but I just watch 4:3 material in SD mode and it fills the TV with a good quality picture.
OK, I think I understand what is going on. You are getting 480 material and the model 6000 is upconverting it to 1080i (or 720p) and adding vertical bars since it knows that the original source is 4:3. Then your TV gets the 1080i material which it assumes is 16:9 material and thus adds horizontal black bars . . . thus the box. But you found the correct solution . . . watch 4:3 material in SD mode . . . the way it should be watched. Of course, the system should automatically do this but . . . ?

Quote:
Originally posted by tanstfl:
Without the OTA module there is no noise as the fan is on the module. I ended up taking the fan off the OTA a couple of weeks ago (quite simple to do) and it still works fine and the 6000 case immediately above it feels cool to the touch. However, I do not have it in a cabinet. And if the heat does shorten the OTA's lifespan, I'd rather buy a new one every other year than listen to the noise when I'm not watching TV. With the TV on I never noticed the noise. (The stupid fan runs even when you power off the 6000 off otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem).
Oh man, you are bummin' me out. I've ordered one but I don't want fan noise and I live in California, land of the rolling black-outs. I'll feel guilty with yet another "energy vampire" sucking power even when it is not being used. Why does the thing run even when not being used? That seems damn silly.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
While the new DirecTV receivers are nice, particularly for OTA guides, content is still king. Dish has more and DirecTV will max out at 1-2 more channels, IF they deem the market big enough. (Of course the best answer is both, but not an option for many). Dish doesn't have the aesthetics in the user interface, but it does the job.

Tim

·
Registered
14 Posts
<<Why does the thing run even when not being used? That seems damn silly>>

I'm pretty sure the only thing that happens when you turn the DBS receivers off is that they turn off the video and audio outputs. Since everything else is running the same as when it is "turned on" it needs the same cooling supplied.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ELCid:
dagman,

Don't be "bummed out". All sat receivers stay on even when the power(switch) is turned off.So they are all "energy vampires". That's the only way they can receive updates at night or other times. As far as "Fan Noise", your only going to hear any from the E*6000 if your plan on getting OTA content (hence needing the OTA module with FAN).
Yes, I am getting the ATSC adapter. In fact I originally only wanted just a terrestrial HDTV receiver but when I saw how much the satellite providers were subsidizing their boxes with built-in receivers, I got suckered into getting satellite TV. ;-) It is a very clever ploy by the satellite providers, IMHO. I understand the satellite receiver being powered all the time, but why the 8-VSB module? I'm adding to the California power crisis.

Quote:
The first being (has mentioned earlier in this thread) content is king, and IMHO Dish offers more channels at a better price point then DTV (and IMHO better picture Quality). If your a sports nut and have to have the NFL Ticket etc then maybe DTV is for you (until Dish picks it up).
I agree and don't give a rat's ass about football, so that is why I picked Dish.

Quote:
Buy the way I have the OTA module in my Dish 6000 and the fan noise is barely noticeable (and not at all while watching a movie), and now that I have it in a rack unit I can't hear it at all.
I'll be putting it into a cabinet I built and if it is noisy, I'll quickly add a glass door . . . but then I'll have a heat problem. I hope DN builds a new 8-VSB module with next generation 8-VSB chips . . . I'd gladly buy another one if they get rid of the fan and improve reception.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Although their PPV offerings aren't that great, Dish at least runs them continuously instead of idiotic late hours like DirecTV. I have no regrets about getting a DISH 6000. Besides more content, it also provides 720P or 1080I outputs via component or RGB outputs. None of the DirecTV HD receivers priced anywhere remotely close to the 6000 provide such capability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.