AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the last 6 mos assembling a home theater system, and the final piece is the DTV tuner. I had been intending to wait on the Zentith based on its features; but now it looks like it will be delayed to at least Sept, maybe 1st of next year http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif I have read the reviews of the panny, sony, hughes; and, as I have no satellite service (or experience), have been thinking about getting the DISH 6000 w/ the OTA tuner module. Does anyone know how its OTA performance compares with the dtv models? Also, how many inputs does this plug in module have (I would like to be able to keep at least analogue cable, in addition to OTA DTV and satellite, if possible). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm, it seems this topic hasn't generated much interest. Well I'm sure its an old story to most of you. I really would like some thoughts though on ota performance of DISH 6000 compared to RCA, Sony, Panny, etc. From what I've read, the one that sounds best is Hughes, but it doesn't have a VGA out, which I want (I have a Sony Plasma w/ VGA inputs). What are the real disadvangtages of the RCA vs the newer models? One of the things I like about it is the antenna input options and, from what I've read, speed. I don't think signal strength will be a problem for me, as I live just outside Tampa, FL; where all networks have broadcast towers fairly close. Appreciate any input http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

I can't give you any comparisons between the DirecTV and Dish models. However, as a 6000 owner I can say that it has a very nice Over the air digital receiver. It will output as you know via a vga or component connection in the 720p format or 1080i. It also has optical audio output. The Over the air tuner also will tune and demod the analog signals. I believe however, that it only has one RF input. I tried the Analog tuning mode and was happier with the internal tuners in my TW56X81. Just seemed higher quality demod and could still get PIP. However, the 6000's tuner allows the local stations to appear on the channel menu with all the other Sat channels. So in that respect, it's seamless. I can testify that the quality of the Digital Tuner is outstanding. I've seen quite a bit of HD material via the Sat. You see good and bad transfers etc. But the absolute best HD Show I've seen was a Danish Travel show transmitted via our Local PBS affiliate. It was absolutely stunning. The fine detail of the picture was unlike any I'd seen. Including the Dish Demo which many brag about. I also live in an Urban location. I get 90% signal with a $2.99 bowtie hanging out the back of my audio rack. I'm approximately 15 miles from the transmitter site. For further information, please use the "Search" feature of the forum to search different sections. I think you will find more than enough via past posts to make your decision.

Best of Luck, Max

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the DISH is the best option for me; I need a VGA out, and would much prefer a 720p capability; so it sounds like it has the things I want most. Wish it had an extra antenna input for cable, but I can live without that. How about the channel interface with DISH? Is it fairly easy to navigate? I will be using this as my only TV tuner, since I have a plasma display which has no tuner, and I plan to relegate the VCR to the bedroom (that's what I'm using as a tuner now with cable). Again, thanks for the info http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have had the Ota module for the 6000 since it came out in Dec..It has worked flawlessly and am very happy with it...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also own a E-6000. I am very happy with it. E-6000 picks up all our local DT with no problem even when WFTV has some PSIP issue.

SI

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One thing I don't like is you can not output to component and composite at the same time. Forget about recording and watching HD at the same time, unless you have a HD recorder.

-Glenn

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would say the menu is probably not as good as the DirecTV. I just say this from what I've heard. The menus are very straight forward. The only thing that is discouraging at present is the speed at which details about a program appear. Very slow. If I'm wrong, someone correct me, This may be due to limited memory in the receivers.

Charlie(CEO) of Dish has stated that they have more bandwidth than the competition. And will add more HD content as it becomes available. I think he's talking the talk and walking the walk...Putting CBS HD on Dish. Well that's just outstanding..

Max

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have A Dish 6000 and a OTA option. It picks up all the Digital channels in Chicago with a $30 radio shack antenna that is in the rafters of my garage. (and the OTA analog reception from that same antenna is unwatchable)

Recording HDTV is NOT an option with the 6000, as I recently discovered.

-Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.