AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I had all of this under control, someone mentions something in another thread that starts me to thinkin'....

My understanding is that there are basically three modes of output on the Dish 6000: S-video, 720p and 1080i.

When you use the SD feature, the output goes out through the S-Video jack. When you switch to HD, it goes out the component video jacks and everything that's NOT already native 720p or 1080i gets upconverted to whatever you have set up in the HDTV setup menu.

Is that correct? Someone in another thread mentioned something about 480i output from the 6000. I didn't think there was any 480i, only standard S-video or upconverted signals in 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker:

My understanding is that there are basically three modes of output on the Dish 6000: S-video, 720p and 1080i.

When you use the SD feature, the output goes out through the S-Video jack. When you switch to HD, it goes out the component video jacks and everything that's NOT already native 720p or 1080i gets upconverted to whatever you have set up in the HDTV setup menu.

Is that correct? Someone in another thread mentioned something about 480i output from the 6000. I didn't think there was any 480i, only standard S-video or upconverted signals in 720p or 1080i.
SD S-video IS 480i.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
SD S-video IS 480i.
If that's the case, why are dvd players considered 480i ONLY if they have component outputs? (not the same as progressive) My dvd player has component progressive, composite, and s-video. Are you saying that anyone can get 480i out of a dvd player with an S-video output? Or I'm getting 480i from my JVC VCR through S-video? Or is this something specific with the Dish 6000?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Randy

S-Video is always 480I

Component may be 480I or progressive depending on the unit.

The 6000 component is not 480I.

Some Receivers auto-detect the component input and switch.

------------------

--Bob

[This message has been edited by REF (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, then it looks like I just found some more tweaking to do in the designer menu of my TW56x81. *sigh*

When you say the 6000 is progressive, I assume you're referring to the component outs and 720p. (my tv only accepts 1080i)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Randy

Corrected my error.

6000 component may be 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced.

You're too quick.

------------------

--Bob

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Toshiba has settings specifically for 480i DVD (component inputs), which is where my confusion came from. So, I don't have to worry about any more tweaks on my set. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.