AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dish 6000 with a Toshiba TW56X81 RPTV.

In HD mode, the picture is great, but in standard mode, the picture is fuzzy, grainy, etc. My father has a Mitsubishi 55" with Cablevision and the picture is extremely clear. What am I missing??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you leaving the 6000 in HD all the time and outputting by component to your Toshiba?

If so, here's what I advise:

Hook up your 6000 to your TV by both component and s-video. Use SD mode (via s-video) when watching SD content. The line doubler in the Toshiba sets is far superior to the line doubler in the 6000. In addition, you'll get access to the Toshiba stretch modes which are far superior to the 6000 stretches. Obviously when watching HD content you'll need to switch to the HD output.

Let me know if you have other questions as I have a similar setup with a 6000 and a Toshiba 65HX81.

--Louis

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've got the same set up as you, Dish 6000 and TW56x81. I wholeheartedly agree with Louis. I watch regular satellite and OTA DTV via S-video, it's a much crisper picture, and only switch to the HD component outputs for real HD or 480p.

For watching non-HD OTA DTV, I still use the S-video out, and use the '*' button on the Dish 6000 to zoom in the picture so I'm not watching through a little window. Works great.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
OK, my DISH gets installed this Wed. What is this "*" button? Is it a zoom function on the 6000? How many levels does it have?

My TV is the Panasonic 47WX49 and it has Zoom, Full and Just (stretches the sides more than the middle) modes.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The '*' button is an aspect ratio control on the Dish 6000 receiver. For SD mode (via S-video) you have regular and zoom modes. The zoom mode is helpful for watching OTA DTV (SD not HD) where the image is usually in a little window. Going to zoom mode causes the image to fill my screen (widescreen)

In HD mode (via the component cables), you have a number of stretch and zoom modes, as well as a gray-bar mode that puts gray bars on the sides of the screen for 4:3 images. This is supposed to help prevent burn-in. I typically never use the '*' in HD mode, since I only use HD mode for true HD material. Myself and others have found that SD images look a little better (not as soft) using the S-video outputs, rather than upconverting to 1080i via the HD outputs. You'll have to try both and see which one looks better to you.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.