AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got the Dish 6000, I was under the impression that I need two sw-21 switches to make it all work. I would need to pick up three satellites, 110, 119, and 61.5. I ended up with the 110 and 119 hooked into a sw-21 with the output of that going into a sw-21 along with the input from 61.5. I got it all tuned and everything was working ok as far as I could tell.

Then last night it started complaining that it couldn't pick up 119 and as a result some of the channels didn't work. So I went into the configuration menu and did a "check switch". The only one it showed was the 61.5 (which surprised me). So I went out and swapped the two sw-21's. Then did the "check switch" again. This time it said that it couldn't detect any switches. So I deduced that the one switch must be having some kind of problem. So I went out and took out what I thought was the "bad" switch and put in the good switch. I only had two inputs so I left one of them off of the 110/119 (not sure which) thinking that I would just not be able to pick up some of the channels.

I then did a check switch again and it detected all THREE satellites. This surprised me as one wasn't plugged in but I ignored it and went on (thinking it was wrong). I then checked the satellite signal strength on the previous screen and was surprised to see it detect all three sats again. I figured it was just confused (or maybe I was). But then when I check the channels, I *SEEM* get them all. Where do I have a misconception on how this works...? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You have a slight misconception. It sounds like the LNB you have on the Dish 500 is the type with built-in switches. Each of the two cables from the LNB thus has both 110 and 119 on it; there are two cables in case you have two receivers. But only one of them needs to be run to the SW21 for the 6000. The other SW21 input is connected to one of the cables from the dish pointed at 61.5; the output of the SW21 is connected to the 6000.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.