AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TV that is HDTV capable and I was wondering if I should upgrade to Dish 6000. I have Dish Network right now but I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade so that I can high definition programs. Is there enough programming out there to make the upgrade worth my while? Thank you for any comments and/or responses.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can always wait for more programing, but why not go for it if you've invested the money in an HDTV? You're talking about a receiver that is only about 15% of what you paid for your TV at most. Even if you don't want to pay for HBO or Showtime from DISH, you should at least get it for OTA HD broadcasts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got a Dish 6000 last week and the demo channel is awesome. However, after a few viewings the novelty wears off. I have not yet seen HBO and Showtime, but I understand that they are not a good as the demo channel or OTA HD broadcasts. Still, I don't regret stepping up to the 6000 even though OTA won't be available to me for another 8 mos.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
What reciever do you have now? I had a 6000 but exchanged it for a dishpro 301 because I thought the guide on the 6000 was laggy and poor when compared to the 301. Also, I won't have an HDTV until Dec.

I plan on getting a new HD reciever as soon as they upgrade the guide. If you already have and older reciever (non-301/501) then you will not have the issue with the guide that I do. I'd say go for it.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
JESTRS,

If you want to see what is on HDTV nightly go to the website www.hdtvgalaxy.com and click "whats on." That will show you. It doesn't mean you can receive it Though HBO and SHowtime are available through DISH. The Locals are dependant on your area having Digital TV broadcasts.

Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In response to Tweakophyte I have a JVC 3700 and a JVC 2700 receiver. My locals come out of New York. How would I connect the 301 or the 6000 receiver to my TV? I have the Panasonic TH-42PWD4UY plasma TV. It has 3 BNC component outs, a HD BNC out, a VD BNC out, and a 15 pin out. I have the JVC 723GD progressive scan DVD player connected to my component outs.

Thank you for your time and responses.

[This message has been edited by jestrs (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jestrs:
In response to Tweakophyte I have a JVC 3700 and a JVC 2700 receiver. My locals come out of New York. How would I connect the 301 or the 6000 receiver to my TV? I have the Panasonic TH-42PWD4UY plasma TV. It has 3 BNC component outs, a HD BNC out, a VD BNC out, and a 15 pin out. I have the JVC 723GD progressive scan DVD player connected to my component outs.

Thank you for your time and responses.

[This message has been edited by jestrs (edited 09-04-2001).]
Sorry jestrs. I am going to have to let someone else answer that. I can tell you the 301 has one composite and one S output while the 6000 has 2 of each plus a component out and a VGA(?) out that is only active during HD broadcasts. Other than that it sounds like you need a video switcher, which I have no experience with.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
511 Posts
You need a dish 6000 receiver + 8VSB module and an 18 inch dish pointed to 61.5. The dish 6000 will get SHO, HBO and CBS in NY in HD.

In addition, with the 8VSB module you can get OTA HD broadcasts using a simple antenna. I have this setup.

In NY, WPIX (11) broadcasts in 480p, NBC also has widescreen 480 programming, PBS has a 24 hour HDTV 1080i demo channels which is quite stunning. Fox also has 480p programming. ABC is going to have several primetime shows in HDTV plus one movie per week in HDTV 720p.

Even normal non-HD material on DTV looks much better than analog on my Sony 53HS10.

In NY we are quite lucky to have more HD and DVD quality broadcasts than most other regions.

------------------

Eram

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.