AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a repeatable problem on my dish 6000, and I'd like to know if it is just my unit, or if it is universal. Here's what you do:

1) Before you power down your home theater for the evening, tune to an OTA HD channel.

2) Power down your TV, audio receiver, etc, but leave the 6000 powered on.

The next day (i.e. several hours later)- turn on TV (etc). The OTA channel should still show fine. Now tune to a satellite channel. *here is where the problem shows up*

On my 6000, I then receive an error indicating the smartcard is not authorized to show the selected channel. This shows up for EVERY channel.

You can "easily" restore service by powering off the 6000 receiver, unplugging it, removing the smart card, plugging in, powering on, then inserting the smart card.

I reported this to DISH customer service. This was not a known problem. It's possible this is a unique problem with my unit, but I'll only know if others will try this and post here.

thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. if you DO experience the problem, it would be great if you'd call customer service and report it. Make sure they fill out a technical problem report - so the error is brought to the attention of the tech support folks. The rep told me they're only likely to work on this if a lot of folks report this as a problem.

------------------

Fred S

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes, I have experienced the same sort of problem. I believe that when you are tuned to an OTA channel, reception of part or all of the datastream from the satellites is suspended. Included in this datastream is the program guide and receiver/access card authorization codes. I believe that Dish changes some sort of access code daily to keep the hackers scrambling, and the problem we are observing may be related to the fact that our receivers/cards have not had a chance to update themselves as would normally occur if the datastream were being received continuously.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I too have experienced the problem. What i do to change from OTA to DBS is to input the actual channel number like 182 for Discovery as opposed to hitting "Guide" which always shows the "searching for satellite" screen.

When inputing the DBS Channel number, it changes right away with no lag and no searching...screen.

Lee

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There seems to be agreement that this is a bug. Some of us are annoyed, others accept it. I accept it too, to a point, but I feel that ANY known error should be fixed, in due time. That's what software support guys DO (having been one).

There are several known bugs, but nobody knows if or when they'll be fixed (the customer service reps certainly don't know). I'd love to see someone maintain a list of known software errors in a web site. This would serve two purposes: verifying that our experiences aren't unique, but also giving us some leverage with DISH; really to keep them on their toes, not to punish them.

I have a hard time believing the DISH 6000 software is so darned complex that problem resolution is all that big a deal. The software folks need to know what the bugs ARE. If they're worth their salt, and I'll bet they are, they'll work the problems.

If others are interested, I'd be glad to help collect the info. Someone else would have to set up the web site.

------------------

Fred S

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to say this but there is nothing wrong with the 6000 receiver. In order to receive the data stream during the night the receiver has to be on a dish network broadcasting channel to receive the data information for the next 24 hours. This is the same way on my C-band dish if I do not leave it on a channel which broadcasts through the module then you do not receive the information for the next day.

In other words if it's left on a wild feed it does not download the data stream for the next day, and thats the same way with the 6000 receiver, the receiver has to know who your programmer is.

Bill

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill Millar (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill -

I don't understand what you mean. Are you referring to downloading channel guide information, or some kind of "heartbeat" that the receiver needs to receive from satellite? Regardless, if the 6000 is indeed working properly, or as designed, this should be documented, at least for the customer service reps. The rep I talked to reported this as a new problem. If it is working as designed, this is still a nuance that I'll bet could be corrected. (do DirecTV receivers experience this? probably not.).

When you said there's nothing wrong with the 6000, I assume you were referring to the specific problem I mentioned. There are certainly some software errors that we users are aware of, and that DISH admits to (e.g. the channel mapping problem).

Listen, I'm generally happy with my Dish 6000. It just has a few issues that I would like to see corrected - then it will really be top notch.

------------------

Fred S

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have not have that problem, however the one I get says "Searching for Satelite Signal" and sometimes takes a few minutes.

It's a pain, I wish they will fix it.

Good luck,

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've never gotten the "Card not authorized" screen, but I have the same issue switching back to satellite channels from local ATSC channels. I always figured the 6000 was too busy decoding the 8VSB stream to dedicate any cycles towards satellite data. If you watch NTSC locals, the guide and browsing works just fine.

I wish Dish would eliminate the need to have the 6000 connected to a satellite dish. I want to demo the 6000's ATSC capabilities to someone at work who has a Mitsubishi HD RPTV, but I'm not about to climb up on the roof to disconnect a dish so I can make it work.

------------------

--Roland W. Fox

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

I have seen this problem if watching an OTA channel for about 2 hours. Then trying to switch to a "subscription" channel, you will get the smart card error. However, I found that tuning to channel 9443 (HDTV demo) or channel 100 for a few seconds will cause the data stream to be read off of the satellite and then your regular subscription channels will be ok.

Sal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look like it is a bug with the receiver....I have the same problem. It's a pain especially when I try to show off the system to the wife. Here is a commercial for it...10k for the equipments. 10k for the ht room. Unplug and replug power cable for receiver to work...priceless.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I thought that was in the last upgrade; the ability to use ATSC without being hooked up to the dish.

I believe that info is in the forum if you search for it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fred,

When I said that there was nothing wrong with the 6000 receiver, I was referring to the download of the guide at night only. I'm saying that if your receiver is not on a Dish network broadcasting channel then it's the same thing as being unplugged when downloading the guide and other information.

As far as calling Dish and they telling you they never heard of the problem well that always seems to be the first thing they tell people when they call unless it's a real common problem. A common problem is like if you only get odd and even channels most techs know that it's usually a grounding block problem. Dish just does not have enough people working for them that are that knowledgeable about satellite receivers, thats why we have these great forums that help people, and can answer most if not all the posing questions.

Bill

------------------

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
. In order to receive the data stream during the night the receiver has to be on a dish network broadcasting channel to receive the data information for the next 24 hours.
I found once when I left my sat on OTA overnight (accidentally), but turned the power OFF, I had all the guide info the next day. Needless to say, I was totally shocked!

The best way to tune off of OTA without getting the errors is to use the transparent BROWSE and either key up or down, or key in the channel number directly into the browser and hit ENTER.

Last week I wrote DISH TECH SUPPORT (again) about this issue and the EPG foulup with NBC/CBS and they said they are working on a fix for these problems.

By the way, an easy fix for the NBC/CBS reversal bug is to just reverse the affiliate association when assigning the Analog channel.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.