AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best VCR to use with the Dish 6000 receiver? I realize that it won't be able to record the full HD resolution but hopefully it can make the most of the svideo output. So I guess it needs to be an SVHS VCR which can control the dish receiver. So far, most of the models I've seen can only control DTV receivers, not EchoStar/Dish.

·
Registered
570 Posts
mini-DV is superior to SVHS when it comes to picture quality (DVD-level resolution, virtually video noise free, and excellent colors). When I use the mini-DV format to tape off DirecTV, I cannot tell the copy from the original. You can now get 2 hours on one mini-DV tape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JarredInTheHouse:
I currently own a Sharp SVHS which has the ability to start recording automatically when it detects a video signal on it's video 2 input. So I just set a program to record with my 6000 and turn the power off on the 6000.

So when the timer activates the 6000, the VCR detects the incoming Video signal and begins recording. The picture quality is great, not as good as MiniDV, of course, but a lot less expensive. I purchased the VCR about a year and half ago at the Good Guys for $249.00. Last time I checked it was selling for $199.00.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this info. Two questions:

1. Does this mean you are recording without the use of IR blasting? I could never get it to work.

2. Do you turn the power off the VCR or the 6000?

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I currently own a Sharp SVHS which has the ability to start recording automatically when it detects a video signal on it's video 2 input. So I just set a program to record with my 6000 and turn the power off on the 6000.

So when the timer activates the 6000, the VCR detects the incoming Video signal and begins recording. The picture quality is great, not as good as MiniDV, of course, but a lot less expensive. I purchased the VCR about a year and half ago at the Good Guys for $249.00. Last time I checked it was selling for $199.00.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Jarred
http://www.jarredinthehouse.com

·
Registered
632 Posts
It sounds like when the VCR detects a signal on one of its inputs it starts recording.

So you set the timer on the 6000 and turn the 6000 off (so there is no signal).

When the timer comes up the 6000 turns itself on and then the VCR starts recording.

If the 6000 turns itself off after a timer you could record multiple programs, otherwise it would record until the tape runs out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I forgot to mention that you can only record one program using this method, as the 6000 does not turn off, so the VCR continues recording until the tape runs out.

I only use this feature on a limited basis, when I want to archieve something, so it doesn't really matter and I also have a Tivo for my day-to-day recording.

------------------

Jarred
http://www.jarredinthehouse.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.