AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From other posts, there are reports of multiple stations mapping to the same virtual channel. (Usually it's PBS mapping to channel 80 [so local PBS affiliates don't have to pay big bucks for encoders], but turns out other stations have been known to also map to channel 80 as well). [Note channel 80 is often chosen since it doesn't conflict with any UHF off-air stations.]

Also the recent 6000 update "took away" channel 80 from Off-Air, so to get to a channel that is mapped to 80, you have to switch modes from Off-Air to Cable.

------

The initial 8VSB update to the Model 6000 is designed so that once it sees virtual mapping, it remaps the channel to the virtual one. In normal cases, this is fine and often desirable, as most commercial broadcasters want DTV to be identified with their analog equivalent. (e.g. channel 30 mapping to 4-1). Because of the costly encoder issues, a lot of stations will be taking a long time to fully implement this. Unfortunately we're (Echostar and us) are caught in the middle.

There are a couple of additional issues involved.

1) If a station changes their mapping (e.g. when going from HD to SD [where they have an encoder that maps to their desired channel and sub-channel], the 6000 does track it.

It "removes" the previous virtual entry [consisting of the pair of virtual channel number, and broadcast channel number] and creates a new one. Indeed the map is desirable to convert from the "I-want-channel-N's-digital-version" user, to the dumb "only-knows-about-broadcast-channels" tuner.

2) If you get two stations that virtually map to the same channel, the above doesn't work, since after you set-up a new channel (that maps to an existing virtual channel) and tune to it, the channel map entry for that virtual channel is replaced and you can't get back to the previous channel.

Since we know Dish listens to its customers (and indeed does visit this forum),

What solution would you vote for?

1) Last mapping to a virtual channel "wins", and its painful to switch to an alternate. (the current 6000 scheme)

2) Have an option to disable virtual mapping altogether (like the DTC-100), but if not disabled, which?

3) Map only if the destination virtual channel isn't already mapped (like the Panasonic DST-50)

4) Other --write in--

=================

Given the following subset of channels:

Digital ch. 57 Durham, NH; PBS-HD, maps to 80-3

Analog ch. 57 Springfield, MA

Digital ch. 58 Springfield, MA; PBS-HD, maps to 80-3

As a "lab exercise", can anyone think of a better, faster, easier way of channel surfing from channel digital 57, to analog 57 to digital 58 and back?

My current way is to "get there from here" and back:

0) Am on digital 57, which shows as 80 on the guide, (and can be only be numerically selected as 080 from the remote).

1) I switch to analog 57 by switching/rotoring the antenna, then system menu, installation, HDTV setup, selecting "Off Air", and press Cancel 3 times to exit the menus. Then pressing 057 on the remote. I now am watching analog 57.

2) I switch to digital 58 (which maps to 80) via system menu, installation, HDTV setup, selecting "Cable", and press Cancel, then Local Channels, Add DTV, specifying 58 as the broadcast channel, giving a couple characters for the name, saving, then pressing Cancel 3 times to exit. I am now watching digital 58.

3) I switch back to analog 57 by switching/rotoring the antenna, then system menu, installation, HDTV setup, selecting "Off Air", and press Cancel 3 times to exit the menus. Then pressing 057 on the remote. I am now watching analog 57.

4) I switch to digital 58 (which maps to 80) via system menu, installation, HDTV setup, selecting "Cable", and press Cancel, then Local Channels, Add DTV, specifying 57 as the broadcast channel, giving a couple characters for the name, saving, then pressing Cancel 3 times to exit. I am now watching digital 57.

-----

Note that I am not alone! Fairly soon when WGBH-DT channel 19 is on the air in Boston, there's a good chance a lot of us will have two PBS stations (and yep, chances are they'll both be mapped to channel 80).

·
Registered
599 Posts
The best fix for the PBS problem is to e-mail the station and complain.

They can re-map at the transmitter site without an encoder.

By editing the PSIP in the ATSC stream

That is what we do.

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
And I wouldn't even consider buying a 6000 until it can

disable the mapping.

I have a DTC-100 and keep the mapping off. It has been

nothing but trouble when I tried to use it, and it makes

channel surfing up down hard because it mixes up all the analog stations with the digital ones.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I vote for at least having the option of disabling mapping altogether.

------------------

"What we have here, is a failure to broadcast HDTV."

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have this same problem here in Columbia, Channel 32-1, 32-2, 32-3 all disappeared last week and I could not fix it. I was just on the phone with D* for an hour and they said they couldn't fix it either. 5 minutes searching this forum for channel 80 and PBS and it is working. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Houston area folks (like me) should vote for the ability to turn mapping *OFF*. Our CBS affiliate, KHOU, currently has a hardware problem with their flexicoder which intermittently sends out a bad PSIP (which contains the virutal channel number), resulting in loss of picture. I believe the DIRECTV folks who turn off mapping don't lose the picture.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would like to disable it, I tune to the same networks in two different counties (LA and SD). Sometimes the channel just disappears (probably mapping to existing channel).

------------------

-Glenn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.