AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much decided upon the Sony XBR450 36" as long as I can find a good mail order company to work with for below $2,000 pricing for my bedroom home theater.

My issue is this... I currently have a Dish 5000 and HD modulator. Is it better to get the Dish 6000 or go with something like a Panasonic STB (or others)? Do the newer STB's have better OTA tuning capabilities or other functions? I do not use my Panasonic HD Tape Recorder upstairs and currently not using a DVD player either (I reserve that for my main home theater). 99% of my viewing will be HD OTA, HD DSS and normal DSS viewing. i do have some problems pulling in the local HDTV OTA from cinci. so a better tuner than my Panasonic STB-50 might help..

------------------

Michael James

Cincinnati, Ohio

Runco 5800 RPTV 65"

Lexicon MC-1

3 Sunfire Amplifiers

B&W 803's, Center Rears

Pioneer DV-05

Faroudja 2200 Scaler

Pioneer CLD-99

2 Grey Power Stations

PS Audio 300

Pronto Remotes

Automated Blinds, Lighting, Retractable Mirror

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Michael,

Folks would KILL for your Dish 5000. Why, because it's a key component for those would want to record SHO-HD and HBO-HD. Lucky you!

I have the Dish 6000, and I've been pleased with the performance. Why not wait for the next verison, which is reported to have a built-in PVR for HD, like the current DishPro 501 for NTSC.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

[This message has been edited by J.Mike Ferrara (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara:
Michael,

Folks would KILL for your Dish 5000. Why, because it's a key component for those would want to record SHO-HD and HBO-HD. Lucky you!

No need to kill. If you want a 5000/mod combo, Dish Depot just got a batch of them in.

If you are not recording HDTV, the 6000 unit is a much nicer solution. The 5000 is awkward to use and does not integrate well with most sets. i could not wait to replace my 5000 with the 6000.

baimo

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But how good is the 6000 tuner? (1st, 2nd, 3rd generation?)

I have some trouble picking up the Cinci. HD stations.

Yes, it would be very nice to run 1 set of component cables to the TV to get local (OTA HD), DSS HD, and DSS thru a common menu.. is this what it does or do you also have to run s-video as well? I am using a Sony XBR450

------------------

Michael James

Cincinnati, Ohio

Runco 5800 RPTV 65"

Lexicon MC-1

3 Sunfire Amplifiers

B&W 803's, Center Rears

Pioneer DV-05

Faroudja 2200 Scaler

Pioneer CLD-99

2 Grey Power Stations

PS Audio 300

Pronto Remotes

Automated Blinds, Lighting, Retractable Mirror

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The Dish6000 can do OTA DTV, as well as the satellite. The Dish5000 with HD modulator CANNOT do OTA DTV. I think the Dish5000/HD modulator requires a ATSC tuner to your display as well. The Dish6000 can be an all-in-1 solution. I also think the 8vsb module is a late 1st gen chipset.

So - if all you want is HDTV from Dish off the 61.5 or 148 satellite, either will do the job. If you want to receive TERRESTRIAL HDTV, get the 6000 w/ 8vsb module.

[This message has been edited by Scooper (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooper:
The Dish6000 can do OTA DTV, as well as the satellite. The Dish5000 with HD modulator CANNOT do OTA DTV. I think the Dish5000/HD modulator requires a ATSC tuner to your display as well. ...

So - if all you want is HDTV from Dish off the 61.5 or 148 satellite, either will do the job. If you want to receive TERRESTRIAL HDTV, get the 6000 w/ 8vsb module.

[This message has been edited by Scooper (edited 06-15-2001).]
Actually you will need a sepearte HDTV STB with the 5000 even if you only want to receive the Dish HDTV stations. The 5000 add-on unit merely outputs an 8vsb signal that would be fed into your HDTV-STB.

baimo

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Dish Depot does not have HDTV modulator anymore.

They sold out in an hour last week. They only have Model 5000 for $299.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA:
Dish Depot does not have HDTV modulator anymore.

They sold out in an hour last week. They only have Model 5000 for $299.
EMail From Dish Depot dated 6/18/01
Quote:

Satellite TV - http://www.dishdepot.com

We have added items to Our Bargain Bin Page, including New and Used

Receivers and accessory items. We also expect to receive more 5000

Modules, but may take a few weeks to do so. 60 are expected, and we will

fill the backorders from last week first. We will continue to accept

orders online and fill the orders in which they are received.

Thanks for all your support,

Mark and Annette Schuetz www.dishdepot.com
baimo

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baimo:

Actually you will need a sepearte HDTV STB with the 5000 even if you only want to receive the Dish HDTV stations. The 5000 add-on unit merely outputs an 8vsb signal that would be fed into your HDTV-STB.[/b]
So . . . in theory you could have the satellite connected to a model 5000, connected to the HDTV modulator for the 5000, connected to an 8VSB module, inserted within a model 6000, connected to your HDTV. Four devices (in 3 set-top boxes) plus the HDTV! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif What a mess! Of course the advantage would be that you could add an DVHS unit and record HBO-HD or Showtime-HD.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
So . . . in theory you could have the satellite connected to a model 5000, connected to the HDTV modulator for the 5000, connected to an 8VSB module, inserted within a model 6000, connected to your HDTV. Four devices (in 3 set-top boxes) plus the HDTV! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif What a mess! Of course the advantage would be that you could add an DVHS unit and record HBO-HD or Showtime-HD.

Before I got my 6000 and 8-VSB module, I had a 5000 and HDTV modulator. My HDTV modulator outputted to my Mitsubishi HD-1080 ATSC receiver which outputted a signal to my HDTV set.

I am not sure if outputting from a 5000 HDTV modulator to a 6000 with 8-VSB module will work. You will be getting two satellite signals which might interfere with each other. I do not know for sure. The 6000 integrates the guide in the HDTV signal, the 5000 did not.

------------------

Hot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.