AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Does the Dish Network 6000 with OTA card compare with other HDTV STB, I currently have a sony T60 with DirectTV and Tivo and am considering either the Dish 6000 w/OTA or the zenith DTV1080. I am primarily interested in HDTV OTA.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hopefully the MPEG decoder in the Zenith is 2nd generation, which means it should be a better picture than all of the current HD decoders out now. Also, if you don't subscribe to DISH and don't plan on it, don't get the DISH 6000. You have to connect it to a dish to be able to watch OTA broadcasts. And DISH requires a $5/month fee for this.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
That is incorrect. You do have to connect it to a dish but you don't have to pay anything. All the receiver needs is a satellite signal lock. No subscription is necessary. The $5 access fee is for when you want only the HD channels without subscribing to a programming package.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
619 Posts
Something that I've noticed with my 6000 & 8VSB module: Unlike the 5000 or JVC HM-100, when foul weather knocks out your satellite reception, you can't fall back to watching the local channels. You basically have a $500 box that generates a "Acquiring Satellite signal" graphic in HD or SD. Case in point, our area had severe weather this weekend. I was unable to switch to my locals to get any local weather info.

As much as I enjoy Dish, if you're looking for an OTA box, go with another solution until Dish patches this "feature."

------------------

--R.W. Fox

·
Registered
730 Posts
I like my dish 6000 box, but I would certainly not recommend it as a system for receiving only terrestrial DTV. The required sat. lock and older demod/decode chip make it not as good as other available receivers.

The Dish 8VSB/NTSC add-in module does the job decently, (And has improved with the latest software update), but I'd certainly love to see them release a subsequent generation module with an updated chipset and PSIP support that integrates the PSIP info into the electronic programming guide (EPG).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Foxbat: Generally speaking, if a storm is bad enough to interfere with the satellite signal, wouldn't that pretty much rule out being able to get much of a signal from OTA towers?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
While I agree that needing a satellite lock for the OTA function to work isnt very virtuous, I'm not so sure about the 6000's 8vsb module being any inferior to other ones.

In fact in my case where I have a very troublesome signal ( a very low power ABC affiliate) the 6000 has done a better job locking it in than either the Toshiba DST-3000 or the Mitsu SRHD400. I was hoping that that wouldnt really be the case because I wanted to justify bringing in either of the DirecTv units in for more than just HDNet. I kept one anyway though mind you. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kurros:
Foxbat: Generally speaking, if a storm is bad enough to interfere with the satellite signal, wouldn't that pretty much rule out being able to get much of a signal from OTA towers?
No. In general, DTV OTA reception is much more resistant to bad weather than small dish sat reception.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kurros

I can lose sat signal when there is a storm 1200-1500 miles away to the west, but the weather is fine here. I have never lost a signal here (new jersey), but have a couple of times when there were tornado like conditions in oklahoma, etc.

And the Satellite Lock is massively annoying. My SW64 toasted itself last weekend (blue sparks jumping around inside the power supply....excellent!) and in my attempt to watch OTA, the reciever simply hangs. Truly a brain damaged situation

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.