AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You should definitely call your station's lead engineer and talk it over with him/her. I know it sounds strange but you may be one of literally a dozen people affected by this particular problem in your area. If they all live with a workaround like you, the station won't know there is a problem.

I have seen some strange things happen with PSIP here as well. In fact I was in the guide when a channel remapped right in front of me. This whole thing is like blazing a new trail, It is cool sometimes.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It happens sometimes in our area as well (Portland, OR). The 6000 will auto correct itself as the PSIP generator gets corrected for the station. You can also go back into setup and add the DTV station again (no need to delete it first). This will correct the wrong assignments if the station has fixed it. As stated above, contact your local station engineer and let him know the assignments are off. Luckily, we have Lee Wood in our area and he is on the ball taking care of these problems for us, way to go, Lee.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Dish 6000 receiver with OTA decoder.

Even though the actual digital channel is channel 31 for CBS, the Dish 6000 guide menu shows channel 31 as channel 11 digital (the traditional analog channel is channel 11). Thus, if I punch in channel 011 on my remote, I automatically pick up the programming off of digital channel 31.

This was fine until a few weeks ago. After watching several minutes of CBS HDTV, the video now goes blank but the sound continues. I went to my program guide (which took a minute or so to open up) and, voila, digital channel 31 was no longer listed at channel 11, but back up at 31. I then went to open up the subchannel menu for channel 31, and there were 20+ subchannels listed. After trial and error, I figured out that punching up subchannel 2 out of this over abundance of subchannels would bring back the picture and sound for HDTV. Generally, as long as I didn't switch channels again, this would solve the problem for the rest of the HDTV viewing episode. Curiously enough, the next time I opened up the program guide, however, channel 31 was gone and replaced by the channel 11 digital channel, as normal.

Anyone else have this problem? Are there any fixes? Is there anyway to get the Dish 6000 to not try to show the analog channel equivalent of a digital channel?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have seen my OTA channels update themselves in some very strange ways. It has been my experience that it was due to my broadcasters messing around, trying new stuff, that made the changes occur. Don't blame the 6000 when it could well be your broadcasters that are making changes. Digital broadcasts are still in their infancy stage. Most are not anywhere near full strength. It is a PITA but still better than analog when you have it working right.

Impala Bob

·
Registered
695 Posts
This is definitely not a problem with your 6000, but with the broadcaster. Some broadcasters transmit more than one "channel", and it sounds like this station added a bunch of extras either by accident, mistake, or design. Where I live, my local channel actually has two channels assigned to it; one is the regular channel and the other is a weather channel that the same station runs. They both get pulled in with a single channel number, and I then have to select which one I want from the submenu under local channels.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments. I understand that this problem originates with the broadcaster (as none of the other HDTV channels has this problem). Is there any way to turn PSIP off from the Dish 6000. In other words, I personally don't care if the Dish 6000 puts the channels in their "right" place on the channel guide. I just want to watch the show without crazy interruptions like the one described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.