AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is something we already feared, but it was confirmed on the Tech Chat last night.

I called in not even really thinking I would get through, but I did first time. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Makes me think, I don't guess many people here try calling in?

Bummer anyway, cause the 6000 interface is pretty dated.

My only hopes are that they won't forget about 6000 users all together. They mentioned that the new reciver due out next year would support it (HD-PVR).

I'm hoping they will at least offer some type of upgrade/trade in path for current 6000 users.

Can only hope.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Barista (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I love that they said that they NEVER had any intention to put OpenTV on the Dish 6000. If this is the case why does my Dish 6000 have the OpenTV logo painted on the back of it?

Why does Dish Lie?

They just will want all 6000 owners to upgrade to a 921 when they are released (and it will probably only have DVI outputs. Argg!!)

Scott

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, they did kinda say it as if we could just "Download" a new reciever when it is released.

Nevermind the $600 loss of the 6000, and no telling the price of the 921.

(Sigh)

After I got off the phone, I was wishing I would have stated the question more around the logo on the back of the receiver, but it would have made no difference. The answer remains the same.

Bill

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
If they force the 600 into obsolescence...

Class Action Lawsuit.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
A whole differnt software platform that some lower end receivers are equipped with and that the 6000 was originally supposed to have. It allows for various interactive capabilities (though for now all it has in that regard is some weather apps) and a much less "Atari like" program guide.

The Dish 4900 has it..but the only differentiation between a 4900 and a 4700 is that. (the 4900's have the software from the factory). And they're just now starting to upgrade 4700's to it through a slow software roll out to control the amount of CSR calls asking "WTF?..my interface is totally different now!"

------------------

Dan

Knowledge without experience is only information...

[This message has been edited by DP1 (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ultimate:
That's really old news. There was a rumor last fall that the 6000 might support OpenTV, but that was put to rest in late summer or early fall when they definitively said it would not.

That is correct. it was announced on a tech chat before the 6000 release.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
If they force the 600 into obsolescence...

Class Action Lawsuit.

Nuff said.
I think we need to focus the legal action on the HDTV issues with the 6000 and 5000. Open TV is nice but it's not worth the fight. After all it's the program we are after and with HDTV I will take it with a DOS command line program guide if that's what it takes to get it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That's really old news. There was a rumor last fall that the 6000 might support OpenTV, but that was put to rest in late summer or early fall when they definitively said it would not.

The PVR 721 interface they showed running OpenTV looks nothing like current receivers running OpenTV as they've clearly wised up and started putting more memory in their receivers. There will always be something better coming out in a year or two...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

[This message has been edited by ultimate (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I wish I would have seen the two guides side by side. I just had a dish 6000 and 301 pro installed. I can't stand the 6000's guide! I hate the way the sound goes away when you look at a guide. The "themes" seem to take up to 45 seconds to load.

I believe the 301 pro's guide is better because of the OpenTV capability. I love the way you can have the 1/4 screen picture of the show you're watching. The weather is pretty cool, especially here in Colorado... Keystone, Vail, Brekenridge...

Since I don't have an HDTV yet (December... I hope) I am actually considering returning the 6000 for another 301 pro, with the hope of getting the next generation HD reciever when they get an interface that is worthy of flagship product. I though about getting the 501, mostly for the DD sound but I figure go cheap and upgrade (also, I don't have a DD HT reciever yet... December... I hope).

Let's hope that buying my stuff locally will pay off...

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

[This message has been edited by Tweakophyte (edited 08-30-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.