AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Dish 6000 owner's who can answer this? I have an NEC LT100 XGA DLP projector that I use with a Quadscan Pro and a 16:9 aspect ratio screen. The Quadscan does the de-interlacing of the video source, and scales the image to the resolution of the DLP panel. I can do without the scaling, and use the scaler in the projector after it's received a progressive signal -- such as that from the high-def outputs of the 6000.

My concern is that I want to continue to use the 16x9 screen. The Quadscan's controls allow me to correctly position the image -- whether 4:3, letterboxed, or 16x9 anamorphic -- on the 16x9 screen, using the appropriate portion of the DLP panel.

Will the Dish 6000 accomplish this as well? For example, will a 4:3 image be placed in the middle of the 16:9 screen, even though DLP panel is not be used to fill the screen? There, now that should be clear as mud.

If anybody can understand that mess please respond. Thanks.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But the Dish 6000 has three outputs -- Component HD, RGB HD and SVHS. You can use either one of the first two or the latter. If using one of the HD outputs, HD content will be 16x9 always with HD material filling the screen (ignoring the issues of aspect ratio, where you might have black bars on a particularly wide aspect ratio movie or where HBO/Showtime might be showing a 4x3 movie with black bars on the sides). When using the SVHS output, 16x9 material is letterboxed (not anamorphic) and 4x3 material is presented in 4x3.

IOW, the HD outputs always output 16x9 and the SVHS always outputs 4x3. Actually, that may not be entirely true as the newer software revisions have switches for whether you have a 4x3 HDTV or a 16x9 HDTV. Since I have a 16x9 display, I've never used the 4x3 setting so I'm not sure exactly what it does.

The Dish 6000 also has some zoom/aspect ratio controls built-in, similar to what most TV/projectors have -- zoom, stretch, partial zoom, gray bar and normal. Zoom does pretty much what it says: with 4x3 material it fills the 16x9 frame; with 16x9 material it zooms in on the content. Stretch is similar to full on my display in that it stretches a 4x3 image horizontally to fill the screen. Partial zoom is a combo of the two. Gray Bar puts gray bars on the sides of the screen regardless of whether its HD material or SD material. Normal will display the full 16x9 frame with HD material or black bars on the side with 4x3 SD material.

In general, I just use the RGB HD output to display 720p on my display. SD material is a little soft, but I find it better than using the SVHS outputs with my sets built-in Normal, Full, Zoom, SubTitle and Wide Zoom modes. You might have better luck with it using your Quadscan. HD material (HBO, Showtime, CBS, PPV, Demo channel) is full screen 16x9 and can look pretty stunning and I don't think that would improve using your Quadscan.

Hope this helps...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dennis. I appreciate your help. It sounds like using the HD outputs all the time will be the ticket with my 16x9 screen.

------------------

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.