Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Now that Dish will be bringing up HD on 148, maybe west coast or maybe east coast, how would one do a 4 satellite hookup - Dish 500 + 61.5 + 148? Does the 6000 support this? What siwtches are needed?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have the same question. I am only using the even on 61.5 now into my sw64 since nothing is on odd. If the 148 has the HD on the even or odd, could I just drive the one LNB into my one open sw64 and technically have 4 dishes going?

dave

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Far as has been released, 4 slots are not an option. It will be only 3 (119/110/61.5 or 119,110,148). Of course, you could get 61.5 and 148 without 119/110 if you want (just for your 6000), if you can see both.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If Dish is moving HD to 148, can't you just tune your Dish 300 to pick up 148 instead of 61.5? Seems like 61.5 is for foriegn channels?

Glenn

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
According to the Dish HD tech that I spoke to yesterday, the HD programming will be shown on BOTH 148 and 61.5 (except for the demo loop which will remain on 61.5). The feeds will be redundant, and those currently with 61.5 dishes will not miss anything by not having a 148 dish.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they put the west coast HD feeds on 148, there would be value in getting both, at least until next year when they ship the HD PVR player (which will also include OTA recording capability!).

But I'm guessing the 148 feeds will probably be the east coast feeds.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
According to the Dish tech, your assumption is correct.....

the 148 broadcasts will still be the East Coast feeds. He said

it's up to HBO and Showtime themselves to change that.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mds54:

This is odd. HBOHD and SHOHD both offer the west feeds for free, along with the east feeds, what does Dish expect more from them?

I have tried to connect 148, 119 and 61.5. Dish is duplicating internationals on 148 with the same channel numbers on 61.5, meaning they do not intend to support more than three locations.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mds54:

The last sentence makes no sense at all. It's up to Dish to decide which feeds they want to put on 148, unless there is some contract constraints that would prohibit this. Right now, the plan is to duplicate the east coast HD feeds on 148. Perhaps a letter writing campaign is in order to try to persuade Dish to put the west feeds on 148.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung:
I have tried to connect 148, 119 and 61.5. Dish is duplicating internationals on 148 with the same channel numbers on 61.5, meaning they do not intend to support more than three locations.
If Dish could be persuaded to put the west coast HD feeds on 148, they would probably have to remap all the channels to different numbers once they realize that many would disconnect 110 and look at 119, 148, and 61.5. There is very little on 110 that interests me, so I wouldn't mind giving it up. I wouldn't change any of my subscription packages if I did this.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Why is there a limit of only three Dishes? Is there a technical reason why they can't design a multi switch to handle all four? Or is the problem the software in the receivers?

HDTV will really start to penetrate when we have an HDTV sports channel and Discover HD; and when the consumer electronics stores display these channels correctly.

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The software currently only handles 3 satellite slots. At one time it only worked with 2.

Adding a forth satellite might cause the early receivers to explode due to a lack of memory and E* does not want to field the calls and disenfanchise those users.

There are already guide problems with 3 satellites of data, esp on the older receivers. Again could these handle to forth slot or does Dish say some of its receiver can't get all the channels it offers.

They do not have much in the way of switches that work today and would have to support a few more setups.

If they add West Coast feeds (or anything unique to 148) then Sky Angel customers will have problems since that is only on 61.5, unless they drop 110 or 119 and E* does not want to encourage people to look away from their core satellites.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think the problem with not being able to support 4 separate dishes is the reason behind Dish Network duplicating the east coast HD feeds on the 148 satellite.

They know if they had west coast feeds on 148 and east coast feeds on 61.5, most of us would want access to both, and they have no way to support access to 4 satellites at once.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
The only limiting factor for 4-sat switch support is may be available memory capacity in the receiver, I believe both 5000 and 6000 are adequate to handle the added slot. They don't have to upgrade other reciever models since there is no need to do that. Internationals do not have different feeds for E/W time zones. In fact some of them don't even conform to N. America time, so most primtime programming are at odd hours.

I think it can be done, just at this point there is no incentive for Dish to do so. It does require ground equipment retool. Once DirecTV adds SHOHD (if ever), we will see this change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
All they're doing is duplicating the HD channels from 61.5 to 148. There's no reason you'd want both of those anyway. 148 and 61.5 are dish's regional satellites, one's for east, one's for west, and they have primarily the same channels on both of them.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpak2000:
All ...There's no reason you'd want both of those anyway...
But if they put HD west feeds on 148 and HD east feeds on 61.5, there is every reason to have both. Have you tried to watch primtime HD at 5:00PM? I couldn't because I was usually in traffic.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Not to mention trying to watch THE Sopranos at 6 PM with a 4 year old running around the house! Can't wait for the HD PVR next year.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad:

Not to mention trying to watch THE Sopranos at 6 PM with a 4 year old running around the house! Can't wait for the HD PVR next year.
'same issue here (even a bigger problem with the 10 year old running around the house). I end up watching the Saturday night repeat at 9-9:30.

The HD PVR will be great, though.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
Who is coming out with a HD PVR? Dish?

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.