Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am moving to central Colorado in about three months and I am needing to make sure I have provisioned myself properly for HD Dish. Right now, I get HD over cable...

I am aware of the location of 110 and 119 in the sky. My new apartment a) has given me permission to put up the Dishes and b) has a perfect, unobstructed view of 110 and 119... by quite a wide, wide margin. It's perfect.

However, my question concerns the location of the 61.5 and 148 sats... where exactly are these in the sky? I have the Dish tool that lets me see elevation and what not, but I am having a hard time figuring out how they determine the position in the sky. Celestial navigation was not a course in college. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway, my new apartment has perfect, tree-free rooftop view of the entire SE, S, SW, W, NW, N, sky. The NE, E portions have some trees, but none of them rise above 20 degrees ground level. So, I know 110 and 119 will be received perfectly since I know 110 and 119 are, in Nebraska, SSW at about 40 degrees elevation or so.

Where is 61.5 and 148? Are these two running the same programming? What's the main difference between the two?

-- Robert

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
61.5 is over Brazil, and 148 is out in the Pacific near Christmas Island. All high above the equator, of course, moving in geosynchronous orbit.

If you have a globe, take a piece of string about three-quarters the circumference of the globe and stretch it straight up from the equator at longitude 61.5 and that's were the sat. will be. Then take a string from there to your apartment and ... well you get the idea. It might be easier to go into the Dish setup menu, enter your new location, and get the settings for both satellites.

61.5 has the Demo loop, HBOHD, SHOHD, and PPVHD, and a dozen or so specialty SD channels. 148 is similar, but without the demo loop. I've been told that 148 will have the CBS HD West, but I don't know about 61.5, probably CBS East.

------------------

- gridleak...

Analog -- Always out of adjustment.

Digital -- Always one more bug.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
148 has HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, and the worthless Dish PPV channel, but no demo channel. The rest of the channels on 148 are almost all Arabic.

I'm guessing you can probably receive both satellites where you live. 148 will be to the southwest, and 61.5 will be to the southeast. I suspect 148 will be higher, but use the PC software from Dish to get the elevations.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, thanks for the help, guys! If E3 is over Brazil at 26 degrees elevation, I'll have no trouble getting in my new apartment... SE is clear until about 10 degrees dead east where trees take up about 15 degrees elevation. I am set! 148 would be fine, too. Sounds like all of them are pointing south so they can fit on one side of my apartment's roof. Excellent!

Secondly, as I will be living on the "front range" in Colorado, we get frequent rain. Would a physically larger dish help prevent rain fade? i.e. a 24"-30" dish for E3 so I can always get my HDTV... or would this just be a waste of time and money?

Third, since the building is historic they are not that interested in my bolting things to the stonework and I might not want to hassle them with having installers caulk up the roofing to bolt it all down. I believe I saw a special mount made to be used with cinder blocks to weight them down... how well do these work?

Lastly... is there any reason they quit making the 6000 unit?

-- Robert

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242:
No one over at dbsforums has mentioned the 6000 being discontinued and there are a few retailers that frequent that board.

Try the bucket install. It is probably the cheapest and easiest. http://www.radiojc.net/cmr/personal/dss.htm

-Robert
Hmm. All the Dish retailers I've talked to say the 6000 has been discontinued... weird.

As for the bucket, I believe I will be doing something a little difference. I actually have full roof access... I can put anything out there I want. The bucket, while an awesome idea for apartment dwellers with decks, is not quite right for me. I want something a tad more stable...

BTT as well.

-- Robert

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 6000 is not discontinued! There is a new HD IRD Coming out but there still testing it. Don't wait it might be next year. It will do 2 channel recording on a hard drive and HDTV.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im going to see If I can explain my installation properly. I have directv but thats of no relevance here. I live in an apartment also and after racking my brain for a few minutes trying to figure out how to install a dish on my porch without major damage I came to a solution. Take two very thick pieces of wood and put them on either side of the railings of your porch. Then take really heavy thick bolts and bolt the two togethor. You can then mount the dishes on either the inside or outside pieces of wood on your porch. You now have a very stable mount for your dish and you have done no damage to your porch...worked like a charm.

Matt

------------------

Stop Dfast DVI, and all that ****

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The unit the dealers may be referring to, is the Dish 5000. With the Dish HD Modulator, the 5000 was used for early Dish HD capability. The 5000 w/HD Modulator output a 8VSB signal, just like a local DTV station, you also needed a DTV STB to make it all work. Both were discontinued by Dish over a year ago.

The 5000 is still available (used or refurbished), but the necessary HD Modulator is very hard to find.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in Tucson, AZ. Currently I have the second dish pointed to 61.5, 26/106. I just check out the coordinates for 148, it's at 35/223. So, 148 is much higher for me, and if I point to it I should get stronger signal??? or not? The other thing is that the summer storm here always start from east and most of the time actually stays there, I am thinking to repoint the second dish and give a try at 148. Any suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.