AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This expander market looks like it will take off and I'm wondering what kind of experiences any of you have had so far. Right now Western Digital is bringing out the H1S models in the 5000 (500gb) and the 1000N (1TB) and are marketing them specifically as Dish DVR Expanders. All I can actually find is the 5000. There are several other models that have been used but this is the first one I've seen that actually mentions being designed as a DVR Expander for Dish DVR's.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone interested, and it appears that not too many are, here is the unit that I feel offers the best performance as a Dish DVR expander. It is the Western Digital My Book Essentials model WDBAAF0015HBK NESN. The 15 stands for 1.5TB. It is also available in 1TB, 500GB, and 2.0TB. I have seen conflicting reports as to the maximum size the 722 DVR can handle, 1TB or 1.5TB. I have found the 1.5 on-line for $127 delivered. These models are also carried by Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Amazon, buy.dig and several others. It seems that there is about a $30 increase with each size jump.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Several people have gotten larger than 1TB drives to work. YMMV. Just don't call Dish expecting support if you have problems. Also, beware the new drives with 4096k blocks. I doubt the 722 will work well with them.

Ted

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
On a tech Forum a while ago they said the real size limit was that the drive had to be one tine or platter. Some of the bigger ones have two. Usually if there are more than one tine or platter the box will be more than the normal 2" thick.

Rick R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.