AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now multiple homes which have Dish 722 boxes installed connected via HDMI. After a period of time the TVs begin showing signs of HDMI problems which you might normally see when the signal between the box & display is too weak (lines shooting acorss the screen, small green and red dots, image flashing in/out but not loosing HDCP handshake). Eventually this turns into the image going in/out and finally it will go out completely. Sometimes the TV looses sync with the tuner while other times they seem to know they're connected and maintain the handshake.

The homes are both wired differently; 1 uses Gefen fiber HDMI cables, the other we have terminated our own fiber and are using HDMI + dig audio + RS232 encoder/decoders at each end. We've tried changing the jumpers between the fiber cables/coders and the tuners & displays. This seems will often times yield a different result and in many cases appears to fix the problem however at some point_ could be 2 minutes, could be 2 weeks_ but the problem will resurface.

In one of these homes we have gone through NUMEROUS TVs and thought that we may have a power problem I'm doubtful of this at this point. That said, because we are not directly connected to these TVs via copper I fail to understand how any kind of anomoly or surge could be passed from the tuner to the display.

Displays being used are various model LCDs and plasmas from Runco.

Oh yeah, if we replace the satellite tuners with new ones, the problem goes away... for a while but does come back. Problem is not evident with any sources aside from the Dish tuners feeding through the same cable.

It also seems like it may perhaps have something to do with how hot long the tuners have been on because when we see these problems we're also noting the HDMI cable ends are very hot to the touch on both the connector end itself and the boot that surrounds it... as if we may be exceeding the functional operating temp for the cable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves /forum/post/16906378

umm why not try component cables and just forget about hdmi, cable and satellite companies are notorious for having bad HDMI implementation.

The typical_ client spent all this money for state-of-the-art HDMI connections and darn it; he wants to use it! Kind of like clients feel like they should hear more from their rear surround speakers even though this is not how the film was recorded.

That said, I am at the point where I may move them all the component video connections once we install the Crestron DM switcher... after all, on the TV he uses the most; when we began having this problem months ago; we switched the TV to component video and even though the input name flashes on screen when he selects satellite he still didn't know it was component until I told him upon him asking me why that TV was not having the problem.

At any rate; avoiding the problem is not my way of doing business until I have exhausted al options and determined the only solution is to use a different source product or different connection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts