AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to enable the infra-red remote control of this HD receiver?

I followed the instuctions given by harmony remote to no avail, and none appear to be given in the 811 manual. The directions from the dish help line simply described how to set up a learning remote.

I have a harmony 659 remote that I wish to use with this receiver. It worked fine with my old model 6000 receiver.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a sanity check: I have two brand new 811 HD receivers. Turns out my harmony 658 remote works one of them fine, and the other will not respond. So, the problem is not with my after-market remote. There is some difference between the two receivers, maybe even a hardware fault.

now the "fun" starts: I call dish network and get an endless runaround. Now I'm on my 3rd call in 2 days:

They try and tell me that my receiver has the wrong remote address. I explain that that address only applies to the "RF" remote. He says they don't have an "RF" remote - it is "UHF". oh boy - I try and explain that UHF is still a radio frequency, and that we are on the same page.

Anyhow, I thought I was getting somewhere with explaining that the "IR" mode does not need the address setting, but no.....

They claim their receivers are not guaranteed to work with after-market remotes. I say that's fine, but why would it work with one receiver and not the other? My argument is that the two recievers must be different in some way - setup-wise or failure-wise. Then they claim that this model is not designed to work at all with after market remotes. I say I can prove it is designed to work with after market remotes, and show the guy the 'teach remote' feature in the setup menu. He then puts me on hold for a few minute and returns with "the teach remote feature is to teach the remote supplied with the reciever" Duh. I try and explain that this is makes no sense, as the supplied remote is already programmed correctly, and that the original remote is simply used to trigger the receiver to send out corresponding "IR" codes to the remote that needs to be taught. What a whacky system anyhow. I try to explain to him how he has misinterpreted their own instructions. It is an entirely hopeless excersise.

I ask him if they ever entertain the possibility that it could be possible that there is a hardware fault in my second 811. He says no. I will have to pay $120 to have someone come to my house to check it out.

What pathetic service on one-day old equipment. I am truly disgusted with Dish Network, and I've been a loyal customer for 8 years. I doubt much longer though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
One long shot to try:

The model 6000 also had dual IR/RF, but the IR mode would only work if you set the RF (UHF) channel to No. 1. Is there any chance you have the RF channel set to something other than #1 on the 811 unit that's not behaving?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check remotecentral.com, the remote addresses do make a difference for IR too. There's just as many IR codes as RF channels. Set both to #1 and you should be set.

To change codes, go to menu,install,system info and check what the current remote address is.

The one that works should be at #1, the other will be at something else. While on the system info screen:

Hold SAT till all light up

Hit 0-1-#-RECORD.

That should set it to channel #1 and you'll be all set. Universals get set to codes #1, but there are others!

Kevin D.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have both solved the problem for me, where dish network was unable to. Thank you both very much indeed!

I was sure there was more expertise on this forum than at dish!

Jonathan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by port3f8
Does anyone know how to enable the infra-red remote control of this HD receiver?

I followed the instuctions given by harmony remote to no avail, and none appear to be given in the 811 manual. The directions from the dish help line simply described how to set up a learning remote.

I have a harmony 659 remote that I wish to use with this receiver. It worked fine with my old model 6000 receiver.

Thanks,

Jonathan.
By-the-By, I have an 811 and two 301 Dish receivers. I just used the 301 remote to code my universal and home automation distributed IR functions and they work flawlessly on the 811.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
So on the 811 is the IR receiver weak?

I can operate a Sharp Aquos with the 811 remote without a problem...operating the 811 though is totally aggravating. This is in a sun room and I thought that the ambiant light may have something to do with it, but why would the Sharp be okay and the 811 not?

Should I get a universal to replace the 811 remote?

TIA.

Rich

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 811 remote is RF only. Make sure the RF antenna is attached to the back and possibly change RF codes using the procedure above. While the remote is RF only, the 811 is still looking for IR codes. I suppose it is possible for the 811 to be getting IR noise from the sun and is being confused when it receives the RF signal..

If changing the RF code doesn't help, try covering the 811 to block IR noise to see if the RF remote improves.

Kevin D.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Ahhhaaa,

So in my haste, and thinking that the 811 wasn't RF only, I had disconnected the antenna. Put it back on and viola...I can change channels from my back yard!!

Thanks Kevin.

Now the only issue is does dish/anyone make a waterproof remote for a hot tub??

Just kidding, I'll just use a zip lock baggie. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a related question-

Does anyone have issues with the IR reception quality of the 811?

I have a learning remote that operates ALL my components from practically anywhere in the room- mostly by bouncing off my screen.

Neither the universal remote or a Di$h "blue button" IR remote can work the receiver without being directly in front of it at short distance....

·
Registered
117 Posts
jwarden,

I've had some intermittent problems with my 811 and my Pronto Pro remote. All the other components work great, but I have found the Dish 811 is very finicky with reception. It also seems to vary as well, and I haven't figured out what could be causing the interference. For example last night for the life of me I couldn't get the remote to respond, even 3' away from the receiver, then 10mins later it worked fine. The blinds were closed (it was black outside anyways), the lights hadn't changed, the Pronto battery was near 100%, other components worked fine and I hadn't turned anything else on or off.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwarden
...Does anyone have issues with the IR reception quality of the 811?

I've certainly had some "issues" with the 811 but IR remote reception has been flawless for me. Much better even than RF remote reception. My MX-700 throws a very wide strong beam though. I can point it at the 811, straight up, backwards, whatever, it always works.

Only lame suggestion I can make is to wipe clean the IR reception window, maybe a fingerprint is blocking it a little.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had similar problems last night, my 811 remote was not working with the 811 RF, but would control my stereo, TV with the IR. Called Di$h and they told me to change address and batteries, no luck, installed a 3' coax cable without the RF antenna and it worked great, put antenna back on, nothing. Called them back, and while on the phone it started working... confused me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.