AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new 811 in my HT (along with my Dish PVR501) for 3 days and so far am very happy.

Observations:

1. HD picture on my AVIA calibrated Hitachi 65TWX: STUNNING!!

2. SD channels on the 811 are very good and only VERY SLIGHTLY

less bright than the same channel on the 501.

3. TOSLINK sound thru my Anthem AVM-20 sounds great.

4. Got the "BEST" long term customer price and after only 1 short

(2-day delay for equipment) the unit was installed on the 14th.

5. Achieved picture quality using $18.00 Pacific Cables DVI (single link)

cable.

Issues: 1. The box lable says 48 hour program guide and you're lucky if you

get 2 hours!!!!!

2. The partial program guide (with video) almost NEVER works.

(You get an error message where the video should be.)

3. Without my intensive & active participation the install could not have

been completed: the installer admitted it was only the 2nd one that

he had installed and he had never seen a TOSLINK or DVI cable

before!!!

Chasby

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just got the 811 into my Sony 60WE610.

Are you using OTA antenna? After comparing OTA digital channels via 811 and DISH local channels, it was clear OTA looked quite a bit better. Called and cancelled "local" package.

Any "audio issues" via RCA audio output jacks?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chasby
I've had my new 811 in my HT (along with my Dish PVR501) for 3 days and so far am very happy.

Observations:

4. Got the "BEST" long term customer price and after only 1 short

(2-day delay for equipment) the unit was installed on the 14th.

Chasby
Hey, Congratulations!

Were you an existing customer of Dish's? I have been a long term customer, over 5 years (3 receivers), and I called them to ask about one of their HD specials they have on their website and the CSR just refused to budge or even consider giving me a break. Only for new customers, I was told, over and over.

BTW, if it isn't too much to ask, what is the "BEST" price that you paid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also have an 811 receiver I just hooked up to a Sony 42" WE 610 through the DVI output. When using the DVI input on the TV, I'm getting green dashes (9 sets of double dashes) going across the top quarter of the screen. I called Dish and we went through all the various settings in the HDTV menu, but they never went away. The lines appear after the channel display goes off or after the program information box is turned off. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitesh Patel
Hey, Congratulations!

Were you an existing customer of Dish's? I have been a long term customer, over 5 years (3 receivers), and I called them to ask about one of their HD specials they have on their website and the CSR just refused to budge or even consider giving me a break. Only for new customers, I was told, over and over.

Thanks.
Hey Hitesh,

I just got off the phone with a Dish Rep. I called about the current offer for $999. I'm also a subscriber. They told me it was for new & existing users. So I don't know what gives here?

Daman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a Dishnet Retailer in East Tenn lines are software related unplug Box

or hold power for 10 sec to do hard reset should take care of hit

all new box have alot of bugs in software right now

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was the FIRST HD install for my local dealer.

He was here over two hours, just to replace the box and I had to guide him through the various screens with the manual.

Part of the problem was a DOA remote that Dish replaced in a couple of days.

No problems since.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitesh Patel
Hey, Congratulations!

Thanks.
Hitesh,

I'm an existing customer and got a fairly decent deal on an 811 last month. I paid $149 with no committments. I think they've changed the deal since then to require a year's subscription to the HD package. I don't have personal experience, but I think I've seen posts indicating that existing customers have got the HDTV in a box deal.

Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tenndishman,

Thanks for you help. That solved the problem. You sure are right about software bugs-I'm needing to do multiswitch tests about every other day to get the picture back. Let's hope they have a software update someday.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by silverbullet89
Tenndishman,

Thanks for you help. That solved the problem. You sure are right about software bugs-I'm needing to do multiswitch tests about every other day to get the picture back. Let's hope they have a software update someday.
I did have this problem once with my 811. I suddenly lost one of 3 satellites, and 811 demanded "multiswitch check." I works fine now, but is this a known bug of 811?

Are you having any problems with OTA digital channel Audio? I sometimes lose my audio from 811 completely and have to plug/unplug.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just hold the power button down for about 7 seconds then let go. After another 5 seconds or so the unit will reset and you can power it back on. I haven't come across too many problems with my 811 yet, mostly freezing in the guide and the preview window won't come up in the guide. I lost audio once, but powering it off/on solved it. I haven't seen the multiswitch check you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
93 Posts
my 811 has had all of the problems stated above, plus it gets a black screen whenever the auto tune or VCR record changed channels, therefore it is a useless feature, dish says this will be addressed. BUT MY BIGGEST PROBLEM, the DVI output to my GWIII 60, looks horrible, the componets look way better, anybody else with this problem?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The dark picture, and lack of 48hr guide are know problems and will be fixed in upcoming SW patches according to Dish. They say the existing hardware will support 3+ days of guide storage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vandammeman
my 811 has had all of the problems stated above, plus it gets a black screen whenever the auto tune or VCR record changed channels, therefore it is a useless feature, dish says this will be addressed. BUT MY BIGGEST PROBLEM, the DVI output to my GWIII 60, looks horrible, the componets look way better, anybody else with this problem?
I've got my 60 GWIII hooked up to 811 via both component and DVI. I do A-B comparisons on same channel. They look different, but I can't say one is definitely better.

Component looks brighter, too bright IMO. Colors lose a bit of richness and light colors bring out more grainy picture. Less smooth looking.

DVI at first seem a bit less vibrant due to being slightly less bright, but all the colors, contrast are there with better resolution. Whole picture looks "quieter" and smoother. At any rate, it should not look MUCH darker or obviously worse than component if your 811 is working properly...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.