AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are both E* and D* now selling the HD package as a stand-alone? A good friend, with my coaching, recently bought a 55 inch Mitsu and the Zenith STB. After some haggling, and a few reps, DirecTV has enabled his HD sub even without any Total Choice kind of deal (he is an NFL ST sub).

I got the D* HD pkg on July 2, but had to take TC (and surrender my HBO a la carte grandfather deal) to get it.

Anyone else picking up the HD pkg only?

Brian

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had thought that D* had a pretty firm policy (at least recently) that you had to have at least the most-basic TC package before you could start adding a la carte packages. Of course, there are also many reports of people getting special deals if they happen upon the right CS rep....

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I hear D* users have to get the right CSR, Dish is no problem because that allow you to get any single package by itself.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would also like to mention, that Dish is supporting Firewire in there new PVR 921 and 211 STBs. Dish is beginning to look better then Directv.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry
I would also like to mention, that Dish is supporting Firewire in there new PVR 921 and 211 STBs. Dish is beginning to look better then Directv.
We know that the firewire will not be enabled on the release of these units. Dish is notorious for making promises and either not delivering or take an excessive amount of time. These 2 PVRs are great examples -- they were supposed to be out years ago. Until Dish actually releases the unit AND activates the firewire, there is no advantage to Dish. With the 169time modified DTC-100, DirecTV users already can archive programming. Dish users also benefit from the 169time products.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
I have been with DirecTV since 1995. I have Starz, HBO, and Music Choice for 8 years. I tried to add the HD programming package to the above but DirecTV will not do so. I talked to CSR's and sent several emails. They had a Customer Retention Rep call me at home to try and convince me to sign-up for Total Choice.

I asked why would one want a large number of SD programming channels after they have invested in HD equipment. The answer: I agree with you, but you can not get the HD package with out Total Choice. My response: Yes I can. I will drop DirecTV and move to Dish Network at the end of October.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.