AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else as frustrated as I am with the recurring drop outs, screen freezes and pixelation on HBO. I think HBO must have changed something in their stream recently, as the problems have been greatest lately...(probably right around the time THE PATRIOT first screened).

Anyone have any ideas what's going on with DISH and HBO?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
ReeseG,

That must be one tall ladder http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Maybe we should be calling HBO about the problem. Then get some manager at HBO to contact Dish Network.

If I move the dish to 148, will I lose the HD demo channel?

Glenn

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
You will lose demo on 148.

I did notice major breakup on Dennis Miller on HD channel last night.

This has definitely not been fixed.

Tim

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right...a VERY tall ladder. $20M for a space shuttle ride might be a better alternative.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I wrote [email protected] about this problem on the 24th. (copied [email protected]) This is the reply I got the same day:

"Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in the DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

I wish I could tell you more about the HBO HD issue but the only real information I have is that it is a known problem that has been seen here and we have engineering teams working with HBO and our compression group on a resolution."

I tried to watch a movie on HBOHD last night, and saw the same problems, so obviously their teams haven't found that resolution.

Dish 6000

61.5 satellite

Mary

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could this be a problem with transponder 2 at 61.5? When I switch to the menu from HBOHD I get transponder 2 and notice a lower signal level (3-4 points) than the other transponders at 61.5.

Michael

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I just turned on HBO on my DST-3000, making the HBO on Dish (Everything) redundant. I didn't want to be frustrated like the last few showings on 61.5.

I do not understand how some excuse of dynamic comporession is the issue when 1) Dish is supposedly passing through the whole HD pipe (already compressed) 2) that it is not happening on 148.

I don't know why, but the picture on DirecTV 509 looks dramatically better than 9440. (I'll catch Patriot now on DirecTV, maybe it will look less washed out).

I just need to figure what to do with adjusting my Dish subscription.

Tim

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Supposedly, this problem had been fixed. But it is certainly continuing and getting very annoying. I've heard the audio dropouts and seen the pixilation intermittently this last week. Last night, I was tuned to HBO on the Dish 6000. I switched to the DVD input to watch something. When I switched back to the 6000, it was outputting a pixilated mess. This is from the 61.5 bird. And this problem needs to be fixed NOW. I just have this feeling that trying to view Gladiator tonight in HD will be a frustrating pixilated experience.

Jerry

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, Jerry. I posted additional comments regarding my experience with this subject under the HDTV Programming forum.

According to E*, the problem is in the uplink center at HBO. They can't provide any timeframe for the fix but at least admitted to the problem.

I find the 'passing the problem over the fence' solution a cop out, mainly because the 148 bird doesn't exhibit the same issues as those of us watching on 61.5 AND that the problem has only been recent...within the last 5 weeks.

I agree that Gladiator this evening is going to be VERY FRUSTRATING. It almost makes me want to get out the ladder and move birds.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
To get action on Dish technical probelms call the Cheyenne facility using the toll number and ask for Brent Gale. He is the Sr. VP of Broadcast operations. Now you will never get to him but things seem to get fixed real fast after a call to his office.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I tried to tune to 148 today but could not get it. The dish ends up pointing right at the power lines behind my house when aimed at 148, would this cause no signal? I selected the 148 satellite in the menu, but was unable to get any kind of signal. I had no trouble re-tuning the 61.5 satellite.

I watched Gladiator and thought the problem was fixed until the last half hour when it started dropping out for about a five minute period, after that it was ok until the end of credits when it happened again.

Glenn

·
Registered
551 Posts
I watched Gladiator last night on C-band with a 4DTV and HDD201 decoder and there was no dropouts for me. HBO has been very good on C-band lately. The problem must be a Dish Network problem.

Thomas DiCecco

------------------

Thomas DiCecco

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
I tried to tune to 148 today but could not get it. The dish ends up pointing right at the power lines behind my house when aimed at 148, would this cause no signal?
I think it's unlikely that the power lines would cause problems. They emit almost no RF noise at satellite frequencies, and they're too small to block so much signal as to prevent reception.

Consider that the space through which your satellite signal travels is roughly a long cylinder going from the satellite to your dish. That cylinder's cross-section is shaped like your dish. A few small objects that block only some small fraction of that signal path will not reduce the signal strength by that much.

You can test this idea yourself by putting a big piece of something that blocks RF signals in front of your dish. You can cover almost half the dish before the signal is too weak to be received.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Not sure, but it seems like I read about someone who had a look through power lines, which caused a problem. I don't remember what the issue was, sorry.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReeseG:
You're right...a VERY tall ladder. $20M for a space shuttle ride might be a better alternative.

Sats in geo-sync are beyond the shuttle's range. The best they can do is carry a payload into space, and have smaller rockes propel it into geo-sync.

SM

[This message has been edited by Swampfox (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have also been experiencing the dropouts and pixelization on HBO HD E*6000. I have spoken twice with the customer support 800 number. They imply there is no problem. The first call the gentleman wanted me to loosen my grounding wire, which I didn't try...now I understand this is a real problem. I wish I had known this two months ago before I purchased my DishNetwork system. I only chose them for the added HD content and supposed higher level of customer satisfaction...right?

Dave

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also got tech support to finally admit to the problem after checking for local CB or HAM interference and the grounding strip issue as well.

Any news from E* engineering on a date to fix this problem...otherwise, it may be time for DirecTV. Currently, HBO is useless and Showtime has too few true 1080i programs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.