AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the FAQ, but I didn't find any info about this. I live in rural northern California and it appears that in order to receive HDTV, I need a directional antenna pointed in the general direction also used for DirectTV reception. Is it possible to receive OTA HDTV using the same satellite dish used for DirectTV? The triple LNB dish seems to just be for receiving signals from additional satellites.

If possible, what is the equipment required for this setup?

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
You will need a satellite dish to recieve signals from the Direct TV satellites. This will allow you to get the Direct TV channel lineup which includes HBO-HD, SHO-HD, HDNet, and a PPV-HD. This Dish will NOT receive any OTA signals.

So you will need a 2nd antenna (UHF Only or UHF/VHF) to get your OTA HDTV signals. This 2nd antenna is the commonly the old kind that you will find at Radio Shack.

Your DirectTV HDTV capable Satellite Set Top box will have two inputs. One for the satellite the other for the OTA antenna.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I suspected as much, but I thought I'd make sure. I think I'll wait a little longer to see if Comcast begins carrying HDTV in our area. We're 65 miles north of the San Francisco transmission tower for the local HDTV broadcasts, so I think that a UHF antenna would need to be on a relatively tall mast, which is not asthetically acceptable for us.

-Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.