AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my father's DISH system is up and running. I went over today to help him tie the cables up and make everything all nice and pretty.

As for the system, I am confused when it comes to making it work with a VCR for programmed recording. Right now, the 6000 receiver is hooked into the Mitsubishi S-VHS deck via composite video and l/r analog (no S-Video for his TV). To watch the DISH, he puts the VCR into LINE1 mode.

He can record off this, but how does he program his VCR say to tape O 'Reilly at 8 PM tonight? I have read through the manual and so has my father, but we are both stumped.

Thanks very much.

P.S. A strange thing. When flips through channels, sometimes he hits a black screen and the system locks up, forcing him to shut the receiver off, then back on again. This does not happen if he flips through the channels veeerrryyyy sloooowly. As in, changes the channel no faster than say every 5 seconds. Needless to say, this is terribly annoying and driving him insane. He is on the "All Subscribed" channels setting, not ALL channels. This happens with both the 6000 receiver and the 2800 receiver in the bedroom.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Well, Ideally there is a code listed for his VCR in the Dish receiver (IRD) manual.

Assuming there is, he would set his VCR on Line1 mode, with a tape ready to record, leaving it turned ON. At the proper time, (assuming you set a VCR timer on the IRD), the IRD would change to that station, and send a RECORD command out the IR blaster on the front (BTW, there is a way to test whether this will work). At the end of the show, the IRD will send a STOP command out the IR blaster.

If there isn't a code -

Program an auto-tune timer on the IRD for the show.

Then program on the VCR for a LINE1 mode recording starting and ending at the correct times (maybe include some slop on each end).

In MY experiance, #2 is usually more reliable.

As for the lockups - are you using the "page up/page down" buttons, or are you trying to go rapidly on the single ? I haven't had a lockup due to this on my units, and I usually page, let the screen paint, page, etc.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
At the proper time, (assuming you set a VCR timer on the IRD), the IRD would change to that station, and send a RECORD command out the IR blaster on the front
OK, sorry, but I am confused. What is the IR blaster on the front? Please talk in newbie for me, because this is the first time I have ever touched a DISH system and have not a clue. I feel real stupid, but only because the directions/manual mention nothing about how to do this. Are you talking about the receiver? The remote? Do I leave both the VCR and the 6000 receiver on?

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Actually Matt near the back of the manual..the section labeled Event timers.. on pages 5-1 through 5-4 it's all spelled out. If you only looked in the section.. Recording programs, you're right..it's vague and only refers to recording a program that you're currently watching.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. That section says nothing about how to program using a VCR. I called DISH and got a "huh" response from someone who didn't know.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The "IR Blaster" is just some electronics similar to a remote control. This is usually placed in the front on the IRD, and relies on "reflecting" off of something (similar to a mirror).

Using the IRD Control method, leave both systems on, VCR in the Line1 input mode.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:

P.S. A strange thing. When flips through channels, sometimes he hits a black screen and the system locks up, forcing him to shut the receiver off, then back on again. This does not happen if he flips through the channels veeerrryyyy sloooowly. As in, changes the channel no faster than say every 5 seconds. Needless to say, this is terribly annoying and driving him insane. He is on the "All Subscribed" channels setting, not ALL channels. This happens with both the 6000 receiver and the 2800 receiver in the bedroom.

I just got a 6000 and a DishPro301 installed yesterday. When I view "themes" it can take over a minute for the movies to load, and when I pick a movie it takes a long time for the list to repopulate.

The guide on the 301 is much faster and nicer than the 6000, and it also allows you to look at the program guide with a 1/4 screen picture with sound. In comparison, the 6000's guide's performance is so poor that today (day 2) I am going to try to exchange the 6000 for another 301 and wait for the next generation Dish HD receiver.

Let's see if buying locally paid off...

...aggrivated.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.