AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my theater "almost finished" for close to 9 months now. Just a few things left to do like crown molding, finishing one door, and the equipment rack (yesterday, I finally hooked up the HVAC returns - sweet!).

Anyway ...

I had a DirecTV installer install my dish about a year ago (football!), and this year I found myself wanting to hook up my old DirecTV box so I could watch SD upstairs when I'm watching HD downstairs (I have a Hughes E86 - which only does one of these at a time), but I only had one line run from my Dish.

So today I ran a new line (through a different exterior wall), and decided I should ground it where it enters the house.

While I was searching for the original ground location, I found that the ground strap (to which my Antenna, Cable, and my original dish line are attached) is laying on the ground as though it had never been attached to anything on the "ground" end. Hmmm. I wonder if that's the reason my PC has a ground loop hum when playing through the system?

Anyway ... Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to locate the common ground for this ground strap.

The main power from my house is about 2 feet from this location (buried power, so it's coming up out of the ground), as is the phone (same - out of the ground), and the gas meter (gas meter is 4 feet or so away). As everything's coming out of the ground (under my deck, and about 3 feet between ground / deck), I'm wondering what the best way is to find the ground for my house. I *assume* that it's going to be someplace nearby there, but before I dig up the whole area, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of "best practices" for this that might be able to save me from digging through something - or from digging for hours and having no success.

The main power is in about a 3" metal pipe which bends and heads toward the street (the street is uphill from this location, so the dirt gets thicker between the "pipe" / conduit and the surface as I head towards the street). How would a ground line be introduced added to this conduit (or is it)? Is there going to be an opening in the conduit at some point - and if I just follow the conduit, I'll find the ground line?

Any tips on this that might make this job easier / safer / better?

Thanks!

- Pete

http://www.nessoft.com/gallery/theater

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.