AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Philips already demonstrated a DirecTiVo that recorded HD at this year's CES. They claimed it would ship this year. Zenith is also making a HD PVR for release early next year.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think we can expect a whole range of tape and hard drive based recording options to become available once the "content protection" issues are worked out.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Charlie also said on the chat the he tought you would

be able to add external hard drives to the new PVR.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
HD PVR's don't even surprise me anymore. It's almost guaranteed that they'll come out and come out soon. Have any of you looked in the paper recently? 60GB Hard drives sell for $150. PVR's have got to be the most cost efficient way to record HD out there. I mean my Dish Player Dish Network system cost $200 a year and ahalf ago and it only has a 6GB hard drive. With the way hard drive prices are crashing, recording HD is very very economically viable on a PVR.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've read several press releases about the new DishPVR, at least once made a vague reference to being HDTV unreadable, but I got to thinking, did they really mean the HD was unreadable? What's the upgrade path on this thing? Echostars web site has very little about the new PVR. No manuals, rear panel photo's, etc.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The DishPVR 501 that they just announced is not HD capable. However, in the Customer Technical Forun in April they stated that Dish would have a HD version available early in 2002.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There was a lot of information on the E* products in the dbsforum link (thanks!).

Does anyone have any information on the Tivo / DirecTV version? I can't wait for some form of an HD recording solution.. That's the one drawback I currently have, I can only watch live material.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpak2000:
60GB Hard drives sell for $150. PVR's have got to be the most cost efficient way to record HD out there.
IBM announcing a new drive technology today that will make 400 GB disks the standard in a couple of year does not hurt either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.