AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, praise the HD gods. As some of you may recall I have been trying and trying to get the recent promotion that E* is running for "existing customers". Low and behold I send an email to [email protected] and get a speedy response by email and by phone from a person who works in the executive offices of Dish. The CSR's and customer retention knows nothing of this, at least that is what I was told.

Apparently, all existing customers whether they be DHP or not are able to get the 6000u for $199 and the OTA module for $8.95 (shipping). I further received the choice of either having the unit shipped directly to me or having an installer come by. As I have the 500 and only two boxes currently and was assured it was basically plug, call and play, I chose "ship to me". They will arrive in separate packages but will be here by earliest the end of week or latest by Tuesday of next week.

Because I am a DHP subscriber I have to return one of the 501's to Dish and they are sending a box and label for that as well.

It would seem that Charlie is living up to his statement of "...all existing customers".

Also, FWIW, when I spoke to the gentleman above I asked him if I would still be considered a DHP sub, he said yes because I would still have one of the original receivers. Once that was returned then I would be out of the Digital Home Plan. I also asked him if this upgrade would negatively influence any future possible upgrades (ie going from the Dish 500 to Superdish or any other offer that may be available to subscribers) and he said "no". I would still be able to take advantage of those as well.

If anyone would like the name and number, even direct extension, PM me and I will be happy to send them.

Now just patiently, well not really, waiting for when the 6000u shows up to activate the HD and watch some butterflies on my plasma.:D

OT - Does anyone have an opinion of which would be better, sending a 720p or 1080i signal to a 480p source as far as PQ goes?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It is just a click of the menu to change from 720P to 1080i output. I think the test is best run by you on your set.

I personally am running 1080i as that is what more stations are running but I am using a CRT projector that can handle any of the normal scan rates. I should try MNF on 720 to see if I can see a difference. 720 is supposed to be better with regard to motion artifacts but I don't see much of that at 1080i either.

Self install on the 6000 is pretty easy. Install the 8VSB card. Connect antennas OTA and Sat. If your system is DishPro you will need the DishPro to Legacy adapter. I mention this because your 501 is DishPro and if your system is relatively new you could have all DishPro and the 6000 will not talk to your LNB without a DishPro adapter since it is a Legacy receiver.

Acquire the Sat signal and then call and activate your receiver. It took about 10 minutes for all of the new HD signals to appear. You won't be as impressed with the guide on the 6000 as the 501/508 guides are nicer and with the Hard drive they hold a weeks material instead of a few hours. You will get a software download in the next week hopefully that will upgrade your 6000 and improve the guide. Once the Sat stuff is all working, you can go back into setup for local channels and have the 8VSB scan for Digital and Analog if you like channels in your area. Check the box on the ones you want and they will all be added to your guide. Enjoy!

..Doyle

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I find out by climbing on top of my roof, I thought I remembered a thread that stated you can tell by looking at the LNBF's (Dish Pro will say DP and Legacy will say nothing)?

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought and is now confirmed. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.