AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to take the plunge into HD. I've been a DirecTV customer for over 6 years and have an old receiver and 18" Dish. I've decided on a 50" plasma (probably new Pioneer or Panny if it gets DVI). My area won't have OTA CBS for some time, so I would like to add new Dish HD service for the CBS and Showtime HD. I need to upgrade my DirecTV receiver and dish for HD content. I do have OTA NBC in my area (for what it's worth). I like to keep my Tivo for non-HD watching, and am considering an outboard scaler. What are my options for equipment (types of dishes & receivers), and how would they be hooked up with what kind of switches or use of multiple video inputs? I'm not sure how a I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, so suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Francis

·
Registered
517 Posts
If all you want from Dish is SHO and CBS then you need an 18 inch dish (dish 300) and the dish 6000 receiver (HD receiver). If you do a self install then it will be much cheaper. Check out
www.dishusa.com www.dishdepot.com www.amsat.com

Plus there are other sellers online as well.

If you also want regular programming from dish then you will also need a dish 500 and a SW21 switch to combine the dish 300 + 500 feeds and send it to the dish 6000 receiver.

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess all I want is Dish CBS HD and Showtime. Are these both at 61.5 degrees? Do I just need a 6000 receiver and my existing 18 inch dish pointed there? Then is all I would need an oval 24" dish and DirecTV HD receiver for their HBO and HDnet sports (at 119?) and the regular full line up I get now (101?). No one has answered how all this would tie in to a Tivo (non-HD) and plasma (and/or a scaler) and a DVD player. Please help. Steve

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a similar question about DirecTv. I have the old 18" round dish and want to upgrade to the oval dish. I have an RCA DTC 100 which will be fine with the oval dish but I have another non-HD receiver in my house, do I have to upgrade that to a DirecTv Plus receiver and if I do, can it be non-HD? I'd like to receive HD from DirecTV with my DTC-100, but dont care if I do through the other receiver. Thanks in advance

------------------

-h pierce

Surely you can't be serious... I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Your old receiver will work fine with the Oval Dish and the DTC-100.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.