AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving into a new condo that does not allow Sat dish's,,,, Im about 6 months into my 2 year contract,, am I screwed or is there any way to avoid paying the early termination fee ????,,, or get the fee's reduced dramaticly ???

Thanks much in advance

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Had a friend in the Navy who was divorced...when he got bills for stuff his ex-wife bought and charged to his name, he bought a rubber stamp that said "DECEASED: Return to Sender".

I have heard of DISH making some exceptions for "hardship" cases. Best you could do is ask them.

BTW, you DO know that there are few ways that the condo people can prevent you from having a dish, right? What justification are they using?

If you have an area (like a balcony or patio) that you "control", they generally can't stop you:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/20861386

Had a friend in the Navy who was divorced...when he got bills for stuff his ex-wife bought and charged to his name, he bought a rubber stamp that said "DECEASED: Return to Sender".

I have heard of DISH making some exceptions for "hardship" cases. Best you could do is ask them.

BTW, you DO know that there are few ways that the condo people can prevent you from having a dish, right? What justification are they using?

If you have an area (like a balcony or patio) that you "control", they generally can't stop you:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Yes, worst case senerio the condo association will let me have a dish, mounted on a tripod in the balcony, not hanging over the balcony with no wires showing and some other stuff they require,,,,, they are very anal.

They really dont want Sat dish's in the condo community so they make ya jump thru a bunch of hoops to do so, paperwork, blueprints and some other stuff,,, it would be much easier to just hook-up the cable and not deal with the hoop jumping,,,,,, plus, I think I would rather use cable than Dish anyways for various other reasons.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 /forum/post/20861668

As has been already pointed out, if the dish is in your private space, they can't stop you.

But they can make your life a living hell. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode when George decides to keep working at Play Now because they have a year contract with him, so the owner opens up his private handicap bathroom to all employees and their families, baricades his office, turns up the heat, all just to get him to leave, lol. But according to George's contract, so long as he showed up they had to pay him.

Seriously as long as the dish is not on common space that isn't owned by you, the FCC mandates you be allowed to put it up. Dig around their website, there should be a page about it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You'll need to read up on the fine print of your specific Condo board's bylaws. In many cases, balconies and patios are considered exclusive use common elements, meaning they are reserved to be used by the unit owner, but technically still considered part of the common elements, in which case the condo board they can (and will) enforce what you can and can't install.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Doesn't "exclusive use" and "Common Area" mean two opposing things?

Best thing to do is just have the FCC write them a letter.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
The condo stuff is one thing... and you have rights there if you want to investigate and fight for them.

On the Dish end... you're only 6 months into the 2 year commitment... so I have to ask, did you not suspect 6 months ago that you might be moving soon?

In any event... you can explain to Dish that you are moving and your new landlord is refusing permission... and see if they will work with you... but be prepared that they may very well choose to enforce the early termination fees that you agreed to 6 months ago.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 /forum/post/20862826

The condo stuff is one thing... and you have rights there if you want to investigate and fight for them.

On the Dish end... you're only 6 months into the 2 year commitment... so I have to ask, did you not suspect 6 months ago that you might be moving soon?

In any event... you can explain to Dish that you are moving and your new landlord is refusing permission... and see if they will work with you... but be prepared that they may very well choose to enforce the early termination fees that you agreed to 6 months ago.

No, I did not suspect I was going to be moving 6 months ago, Im renting an apartment right now, was going to stay,,,,, the condo belongs to a friend and the friend moved in with his GF, the friend decides to rent out his condo, its a great place and no way am I going to pass on it just because of Dish.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Perhaps E* might contact the Association on your behalf. E*'s thinly veiled threats might be taken more seriously than yours. Certainly can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/20862946

No, I did not suspect I was going to be moving 6 months ago, Im renting an apartment right now, was going to stay,,,,, the condo belongs to a friend and the friend moved in with his GF, the friend decides to rent out his condo, its a great place and no way am I going to pass on it just because of Dish.

I can see that... and if it is a better place to live, I would make that choice too. I suggest you talk to Dish and explain the situation and see if they can help with your new location... but if they can't OR you want to cancel Dish for "other reasons" as you suggested earlier, don't be surprised if they enforce the terms of the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo /forum/post/20863590

Perhaps E* might contact the Association on your behalf. E*'s thinly veiled threats might be taken more seriously than yours. Certainly can't hurt anything.

Agreed. That's what I would do. I wouldn't let Dish prevent me from moving to a better home... but I would see if they could help, and would expect I might have to pay a penalty if they can't help.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:

Cheers

Davyo

Good luck. Hope you don't have a ETF for your lease at your apartment, most places a standard year lease the penalty for breaking it is 2 months rent.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:

Cheers

Davyo

I would leave my things in a box if I were you Dayvo.
The whole "moving in with the girlfriend is nice", but it can get old real fast.
I'm about to install Direct Tv instead of TWC. Anything saying I should change my mind?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Is this the same Davyo who buys a new tv every 3 months or so? And you can't afford to pay an early termination fee? (insert smiley here to indicate this not meant to be nasty).

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 /forum/post/20866230

Good luck. Hope you don't have a ETF for your lease at your apartment, most places a standard year lease the penalty for breaking it is 2 months rent.

Nope,, no ETF on the appartment,,,, my year lease on the appartment was ending just as the condo offer came around, gave 60 day notice almost 60 day's ago,, perfect timing for everything

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape /forum/post/20866815

I would leave my things in a box if I were you Dayvo.
The whole "moving in with the girlfriend is nice", but it can get old real fast.
I'm about to install Direct Tv instead of TWC. Anything saying I should change my mind?

Funny stuff,,, and thanks for the advice,, but I think it will all be good, my friend (owner of the condo) has been with his GF for many many years so I dont see him wanting the condo back.

As far as installing DTV my only "change your mind" thought would be,,, contracts suck,,, sometimes unforseen things happen (I did not expect to be moving) in the furture I think I will pay more money for cable not to have to sign a 2 year contract with a sat provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20867750

Is this the same Davyo who buys a new tv every 3 months or so? And you can't afford to pay an early termination fee? (insert smiley here to indicate this not meant to be nasty).

Yep,, this is the same Davyo that buys a new TV every 3 months

The reason I would rather not pay the sat ETF is I have to save money to buy the new 80" Sharp,,,, but first I have to sell the 70" Sharp I just bought a few months ago

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I haven't seen much that works with the association although I have seen many try. the thing that I have seen work once in a while ,getting out of the contract, is a medical reason for termination, having to move for health purposes, etc:. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.