AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting a 6023 dish system. Due to heavy tree cover, I need to install the dishes in the very back of my yard. This will require a run of about 115 feet to get the cable into the house. I would like to run two receivers on the system.

Question one: how many cable runs will I need. I understand the dish 500 dish is a "twin" LNB with an intergrated SW21. Does this mean that only one coax run is needed? How many LNBs are in the feedhorn, 2 0r 4?

Question 2: Everything I read says that the total cable run can be no greater that 100 ft. One of my recievers will be ~150 ft from the dish, and the other ~125'. Is this going to be a problem? If so is there a solution?

Question 3: Does quad shielded coax help? I can buy twin coax to make installation easier, but it only has the standard shielding. I can't find twin quad cable, only single conductor quad.

Question 4: Can I use a diplexer wit hthw SW21s?

Thanks,

SM

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox:
Question one: how many cable runs will I need. I understand the dish 500 dish is a "twin" LNB with an intergrated SW21. Does this mean that only one coax run is needed? How many LNBs are in the feedhorn, 2 0r 4?
You need one cable per receiver. The twin LNB has two outputs, one per receiver. The integrated switch isn't exactly an SW21, as it responds to different commands. If it responded to the same commands, you wouldn't be able to cascade it with an SW21. There are two LNBs in the enclosure, each of which is split into two halves. Each half can be polarized independently to receive the odd or even transponders.

Quote:

Question 2: Everything I read says that the total cable run can be no greater that 100 ft. One of my recievers will be ~150 ft from the dish, and the other ~125'. Is this going to be a problem? If so is there a solution?
http://echostar.swiki.net/181 has the recommended maximums. In practice, many people have gone way beyond these maximums. For our upstairs bedroom, we have 75 feet of RG-6 going from the twin LNB to the cable TV junction box, at least 50 feet of RG-59 in the walls, and another 50 feet of RG-59 in the bedroom. We've never had a problem when changing channels or with signal strength. One solution is to move the SW-21 closer to the receiver, and run two pieces of coax from the house. The twin seems to be very tolerant of long cable runs with mediocre cabling. I'd try it with one long cable run to the SW21, and a short one from the SW21 to the dishes. If that doesn't work, try two long cable runs with the switch close to the receiver(s).

Quote:
Question 3: Does quad shielded coax help? I can buy twin coax to make installation easier, but it only has the standard shielding. I can't find twin quad cable, only single conductor quad.
Given the length of your cable runs, I think you should use the best cable you can get your hands on (my results with crappy cable notwithstanding).

Quote:

Question 4: Can I use a diplexer wit hthw SW21s?
Yes. Some people recommend against their use, but others report no problems. Channel Master has a few models that work better at keeping the satellite signal from interfering with the UHF band (last digit in model number is a 2).

-Jonathan

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox:
I am awaiting a 6023 dish system. Due to heavy tree cover, I need to install the dishes in the very back of my yard. This will require a run of about 115 feet to get the cable into the house. I would like to run two receivers on the system.

I believe this answers your first question:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...ioninstall.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.