AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are close to finishing a new house with a dedicated media room (projector plus screen), living room with HDTV, and multiple other locations with HDTVs. Our house was prewired with Cat5 and component cable. Now we are struggling with some functionality issues.

Here's the problem. I have a VIP 722 HD DVR and need the DVR to function in two different locations. For example, if I record a program on the DVR in my media room, I want to be able to watch that program in my living room at a later time. In essence, I need control of the DVR in two locations, but I need to be able to watch the recordings in multiple locations, without actually controlling the DVR. Is this possible?

Secondly, I have an OTA antenna and would like to be able to control that in 4-5 different locations. Is it possible to watch 4-5 different OTA programs simultaneously using one antenna?

This is my first post and would really appreciate any guidance the more experienced folks may have. I'll be happy to explain my system further for clarification. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The DVR distribution is quite possible. How many rooms need to "watch" the DVR besides the 2 you've listed? How is the house "wired"? Does every HDTV screen location have CAT5 and/or component cables back to a media closet? The more you can explain the wired infrastructure, the better we can tell you how to do it with what you've got.

How is your OTA antenna wired into the house? A coax splitter should be able to do that job. Did you run antenna cable to each location wanting OTA reception?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondebonde /forum/post/16928482

Secondly, I have an OTA antenna and would like to be able to control that in 4-5 different locations. Is it possible to watch 4-5 different OTA programs simultaneously using one antenna?

You can watch multiple programs from one antenna using splitters, but each splitter cuts the signal level roughly in half. If you have a problem with weak signals you may have to add a booster amp at the antenna or a splitter with built-in amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts