AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently sold my r5000 Modded C-Band Receiver where I could record HD Movies that were 1920 x 1080i (which I am already beginning to miss). What resolution are the premium HD movies channels resolution? Trying to figure out if I should get one of my dish receivers modified to archive HD movies or not....

Thanks

Darin

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I believe E* is running many of their channels at 1440x1080i while some of the legacy D* channels are about the same. No one knows what the new D* MPEG4 channels are running at (they look quite good, though). However, at least a couple of the premium channels are original MPEG2. I would expect them to transition to MPEG4 some time this year, though.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to decide on whether that is good enough to archive.....Will we ever see full resolution hd on dish in the future?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7675 /forum/post/12945932

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to decide on whether that is good enough to archive.....Will we ever see full resolution hd on dish in the future?

Like I said, there's no hard data on D*'s MPEG4 channels. They look much better than the MPEG2 stuff. In short, they look pretty much like the HD channels did before they started downrezzing and bitstarving. I would say we won't have to wait much longer before the entire HD lineup on D* transitions to the format.

You'll never see C-Band quality from any multi-channel provider, especially with home video formats like Blu-Ray as an option. Simply put, second-hand viewing (D*,E*, cable) is never as good as viewing the source (C-Band).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the info..... I am new to dish and haven't done PPV yet, is their HD PPV OAR?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've not seen 1920x1080 from any Dish HD channel in many months. All of their 1080i channels are 1440 horizontal. That includes the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 channels. 720p is still 1280 wide though.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/12945958

You'll never see C-Band quality from any multi-channel provider, especially with home video formats like Blu-Ray as an option. Simply put, second-hand viewing (D*,E*, cable) is never as good as viewing the source (C-Band).

Not so. Many cable systems carry MPEG-2 HD cable channels without recompression.

This may turn around if the cable channels move to MPEG-4.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M /forum/post/12953553

Not so. Many cable systems carry MPEG-2 HD cable channels without recompression.

This may turn around if the cable channels move to MPEG-4.

While true in the sense of what is sent to them, with C-Band you get to see some of the original network, syndicated and remote feeds for channels that are often running at 30-45Mb/s. You won't ever see anything beyond 19.5Mb/s on cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts