AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dish 500 sat. dish with two LNB's and a single wire coming from both-one labeled 119 and the other 110. I only subscribe to HD programming from the 110 sat. I setup one HD receiver using the 110 wire but want to setup a second HD receiver. My question is, can I use an old DirecTV dish I have with a dual LNB pointed at the 110 sat. for reception on Dish? If this will work, then I should be able to use both wires to provide 110 signals to two locations-correct? Thanks

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
On the Dish 500 that you're currently using, you say theres 2 lnbs each with one output. Are you sure the lnb isnt whats known as the TWIN lnb.. where it occupies both lnb slots yet it's actually a "single unit"? That would be much more common than 2 individual lnb's that only have one output each.

If it's the TWIN lnb, each of the 2 outputs is capable of putting out both 110 and 119.

Short of that, yeah an old dish that could be pointed at 110 and that has a dual output lnb would work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LNB is a single device mounted on one arm but has two signal collectors. One marked 119 and the other marked 110 and a single wire coming from each.

A DirecTV dish with a single collector having two wires coming from it will work on a Dish system-correct? I will not need any switches, etc. to make this work-correct?

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Right, if it's a "single device" (like a double wide lnb) it's the TWIN I'm talking about. When thats the case those markings on the Y bracket that say 110/119 dont really mean anything. Again both outputs are able to output both 110/119. Thats the design because the lnb has built in switches.

Point being, you should be able to get 110 off either/both of those outputs. One way to prove it is to just move your existing cable to the other output and note if you get 110.

And yes, if need be a DirecTv dish and lnb can work as long as you dont use any DirecTv switches. But the dishes and lnbs will work

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already hooked up the other wire to my existing receiver an it does not work-it says the signal is from 119 not 110. I thought the same as you, that they should both be from 110 but not so. Also, forgive me, but I do not understand why a multiswitch with dual inputs to come from the same sat. and going to say four seperate outputs to four receivers will not work. I do not understand the differences between the Dish and DirecTV method of transmitting signal so please excuse my question. I think the way the Directv switch works is that one line handles odd and the other line even transponders. Dish maybe is not setup this way. Thanks

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.