AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk from Direct TV about new HD channels, I'm worried Dish will really fall behind.

The reason I went with Dish was that they had MORE HD channels than Direct TV!

Since I'm in that 18 month contract, I'm especially hating it!

For those who have had Dish for a while, have you noticed hat when an HD channel is added, they will add it to your HD package, free?

Do you think if Direct TV buys the VOOM channels, we will loose them on Dish? I love the VOOM channels.

Please alleviate my concerns!

·
Registered
942 Posts
If you subscribe to the SD version of the channel you will get the HD version. Dish will not lose the VOOM channels.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If your one-fouth to one-half into your contract agrement you have not much to fear.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxEboy /forum/post/0

With all this talk from Direct TV about new HD channels, I'm worried Dish will really fall behind.

For those who have had Dish for a while, have you noticed hat when an HD channel is added, they will add it to your HD package, free?

Do you think if Direct TV buys the VOOM channels, we will loose them on Dish? I love the VOOM channels.

IMO, it's very simple. Right now is a great time to have Dish Network. You have the most HD content and you can see what the next 12-18 months holds for DirecTV.

If Dish steps up and adds HD content to compete with DirecTV, or DirecTV's HD content/quality/pricing/timeline aren't what you want, then you can stay with Dish. Otherwise, you and me and thousands of others will be calling DirecTV in 2008 to switch.

·
Banned
1,321 Posts

Quote:

Well, when it comes to D*'s "dance of 100 channels" I can only tell you this:

1) nobody is going to just wake up one morning in 2007 and see 100 new channels. Its going to happen sloooooowwwwllly. First the networks themselves need to actually provide the channel, not just talk about it. D* needs to have have actual agreements for those channels, not just 'agreements in principle', and the actualy heavy lifting needs to be done to uplink those channels and get them broadcast. IMHO, D* was rather bold making that comment so I will believe it when I see it. It doesn't just 'happen' overnight...

2) I don't see Voom channels disappearing from Dish under any circumstances...(unless Charlie has a hissy-fit over pricing again). Voom, like any other content provider wants their channels to be seen.

3) E* is launching another bird this year...don't know the specifics, but its doubtful they are going to just lie there and 'let' D* take over. They haven't yet.

In conclusion...you have plenty of time to worry about who is going to have 100 channels or not. D* loves cranking the hype machine and getting meaningless rah-rahs out of their subs and getting the attention of everyone else, good and bad. In the end, its still going to be realistically a long time before the reality of the D* promises actually hit.

From one E* sub to another, just enjoy your HD as it is. Regardless of all the pomp and circumstance its still more HD than anyone else is watching at this time. E* is going to be offering many new hardware enhancements for its ViP622 so try and resist buying them so you don't marry yourself to a proprietary hardware purchase at this time. By the time D* starts delivering on its hype for you to get a clearer picture (no pun intended) of whats 'really' going on with D*, 12-18 monthes of your agreement would have past...no HD viewing lost...and you'll be in a much better position to make the switch if its worth your while.

You can relax...

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 /forum/post/0

snip

What he said
Great comments

No company watches their rival lap them for over a year and does nothing to compete...not if they hope to survive. I just don't see E* sitting there.

And as far as the vip622 goes, D* is going to need all 150 channels of HD for me to get rid of my vip622. Such a nice box...

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:

I stopped recommending E* last August (especially if you had to sign a contract longer than 12 months) and with what they did to HDNET and HDNET movies it was evident what would happen. E* does not have the bandwidth to compete. As things look on both of them now, neither is a great option. With E* you still get a few HD channels that they haven't screwed up yet - but they will have no choice later this year.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Why do you think they want to "team" up? MONEY

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/0

Why do you think they want to "team" up? MONEY

Teaming up would take over 2 years to happen - the equipment isnt compatiable and cannot be made compatiable. Dish would have to change out all their HD equipment and essentially give up their platform they sell to systems outside the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/0

They're sharing sats for HD.

Again, E* will have to switch to equipment compatiable with D* equipment and also receive their SD Broadcast - in other words - its 2+ years before it can happen - thus E* customers can hope but don't expect to see any fruits of that until 2009 or beyond.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
They're sharing sats for HD.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:

3) E* is launching another bird this year...don't know the specifics, but its doubtful they are going to just lie there and 'let' D* take over. They haven't yet.

Echostar XI will be an in-orbit spare. E* will not be increasing capacity on their core orbital locations this year.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
As GeorgeLV correctly states, the Echostar XI is essentially a spare. There is talk about additional Spotbeams in the 110W position, however, if transponders are converted from Conus to Spotbeam (and logically moving some HD LIL signals off 129W which is in Conus), they still must put those SD signals on another Conus beam.

Furthermore, E* has to give up a number of transponders they have on 129W next year - thus contracting their tightening their capacity even more.

E* wanted a license at 114.5, which they were not granted.

They were granted a permission to build a bird for 86.5W, but obviously that does not fit on a Dish 500 or Dish 1000 arc - thus making more of a nightmare and expense for them.

Charlie Egan has played fast and loose with the law - with little to no long term strategic thinking and time has essentially run out for him to where he is literally out of options.

In retrospect, one must suspect that he thought eventually the 2 systems would merge and thus did not put the capital needed towards the coming crisis in place to improve his bottom line in earlier years.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
To the OP,

I would not worry too much. The HD war is far from over....

E* is winning now, it looks like the pendulum will swing back in D*'s favor in Q3/Q4 of this year.

After that is anybody's guess.

Enjoy what you have and when your contract runs out, evaluate your options. The HD landscape is changing so much that worrying about what you should do 9 months from now isn't worth it.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:

E* is going to be offering many new hardware enhancements for its ViP622 so try and resist buying them so you don't marry yourself to a proprietary hardware purchase at this time.

Would anyone care to expand on this a bit (or point me to a thread that has more info)?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just talked to Dish today about a minor unrelated issue. In any case, the rep told me that starting Feb 1, 2007, they are making programming changes and I will be entitled to more HD DVD programming.

I didn't think this made sense b/c I thought all the HD packages had the same HD channels, only the SD channels were different.

I currently have HD Bronze. I wanted to watch "Animals in the Womb" last night on NGHD, but found I don't have that channel.

Anyway, the rep told me that starting Feb 1, I will get that HD channel, too.

Can anyone confirm this? I tried to Google an answer and couldn't find one. Does anyone have HD Bronze or another package and can tell me what HD channels they get?

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:

...and I will be entitled to more HD DVD programming.

You mean "HD programming" right??

Quote:
I didn't think this made sense b/c I thought all the HD packages had the same HD channels, only the SD channels were different.

I currently have HD Bronze. I wanted to watch "Animals in the Womb" last night on NGHD, but found I don't have that channel.

NGHD is the only (non-premium) HD channel that E* offers that isn't on the Bronze package. Perhaps, given what the rep said, it will be moving to that package...or perhaps the rep was just spewing false information. I'd hope for the former, don't be surprised if it's the latter.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:

Well, when it comes to D*'s "dance of 100 channels" I can only tell you this:

You can relax...

Sure they have, are you f$%king kidding. Why don't they pony up the money for NFL ST?

DirecTV will be the HD leader. Many people consider E* to be the leader now but all they have over DTV is Voom, and we all know Voom is junk.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.