Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am trying to find out if I can get a signal from the 148 satellite (west coast) from my balcony on the 33rd fl of a building on the East coast.

I want to get HDTV and the east coast satellite 61.5 is hard to get to fr my balcony so before I go out and buy the dish+6000 receiver I am trying to figure out if I can even get a signal.

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in Northern California and had the same issue with receiving the signal from 61.5. 148 worked fine for me and I receive Showtime HD from this location. Just make sure that you call DISH and find out what transponder you should use when you are pointing the Dish. I did not receive any signal with the old transponder setting and almost gave up thinking that I was not going to get a signal from this location. Also, you need to find out what the elevation and azimuth setting are for your location. For 61.5, my elevation setting was around 18 or so, which is too low! The 148 setting was much nicer and worked for me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does the elevation angle do? If it is too low does that mean it is pointing downwards?

My apt is 250 feet above the ground. Does that help?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
148 Posts
ensyed,

I think your out of luck.

I downloaded the azmuth and elevation calc from dish, plugged in a N.Y. zip code and came up with an elevation of 3 degrees for the 148 sat, right at the horizon. The calculator is at this link
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/c...on/index.shtml

sorry!

------------------

--Bob

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I just pulled out my globe. San Francisco is about as far away from the 61.5 bird as is possible and still receive it. San Francisco is at approximately 122 deg W. and its distance fron 61.5 is 122-61.5=60.5 deg. Thus this is the max distance from the bird. NY is approximately 73 deg. So 148-73=75 deg from the bird and no hope.

60 degrees east of the 148 bird is Chicago and that is the farthest east it will probably go.

Rick

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
I did not receive any signal with the old transponder setting and almost gave up ...
Only the odd numbered transponders are being used on 148. SHO-HD is on transponder 17, so that's a good one to try when aiming (not sure which transponder HBO-HD is on.

------------------

Peter

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somebody at another forum suggested trying a C-band dish. Don't know what that is but I am going to look into it if the 61.5 satellite doesn't work.

Actually I know that I can get a line of sight to the 61.5 the problem is that my Condo assoc won't allow me to install a dish which stick a little out of the balcony bc then it is not covered by the FCC rules. I might do it anyway since I am on the 33rd floor, it is hard for anyone from the ground to tell if my dish is sticking out a few inches or not. Its very frustrating.

------------------

Eram

---------------------

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
What does the elevation angle do? If it is too low does that mean it is pointing downwards?

My apt is 250 feet above the ground. Does that help?

You're not necessarily out of luck. It might help that you're 250 feet off the ground. The satellite is at about 3 degrees elevation from where you are. That's just barely above the horizon. So here's the question:

When looking out your balcony towards the satellite, are there any buildings or trees higher up than you? If not, then there's a chance you can receive the signal. (i.e., if you look horizontally towards the satellite, can you see blue sky?)

Use a compass to make sure you're looking in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:
I just pulled out my globe. San Francisco is about as far away from the 61.5 bird as is possible and still receive it. San Francisco is at approximately 122 deg W. and its distance fron 61.5 is 122-61.5=60.5 deg. Thus this is the max distance from the bird. NY is approximately 73 deg. So 148-73=75 deg from the bird and no hope.

60 degrees east of the 148 bird is Chicago and that is the farthest east it will probably go.

Rick
This argument is flawed. One must take latitude into account also.

The area of the earth's surface from which you can receive a signal is the area within a circle. The circle's edge is the point at which a cone originating from the satellite is tangent to the earth's surface.

The edge of the circle is where the satellite is on the horizon.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Actually I did take latitude into account. However I simplified the discussion in my posting.

NY city is farther north than San Francisco so the situation is worse. However people in Seattle have reported reception; Seattle being the same longitude as SF but further north than NY. Seattle is still 15 deg closer to 61.5 in longitude than NY is to 148. People in Seattle have had to modify the dish mounting bracket as it will not allow an angle that low to the horizon.

REF said it should be 3 deg above the horizon. So if in NY, on the 33 floor, with a clear shot at the horizon, maybe...

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.